Chapter eight: Scruffy the dog

--------------Shift--------------

2348 Words

Halloween was coming up fast and so was the first Hogsmeade weekend. Saiph sat in the Slytherin common room with Pansy and Daphne planning their day in Hogsmeade. Honeydukes was a definite, so was the three broomsticks. Saiph also wanted to look in Zonko's joke shop to see what fun pranking material they had to offer.

Perhaps she would even find the Weasley twins there so she could finally find out what they were up to. They were due to give the Marauders Map to Harry soon. Then it would ultimately be lost to Lupin's desk drawer and Saiph wanted at least a look before that happened. Her uncle was a Marauder after all. It only made sense that she'd inherit at least some traits.

As excited as Saiph was for the visit to the tiny wizarding village there was a small bit of nervousness present as well. Amongst the fun and excited planning there was a feeling of dread that had settled itself within Saiph and refused to come out. It was more than likely that Sirius would be somewhere nearby. He had already been sighted once in the area and as much as Saiph knew of his innocence, she also knew the actions of a desperate man were dangerous.

Then came the fact that he was her uncle and didn't know. Hades, Sirius didn't even think that his brother Regulus was still alive let alone that he had a daughter. Saiph would have to find a way to tell him, he deserved to know.

It was now the friday before Halloween weekend and the whole school was buzzing with excitement. The Halloween feast was always the best but it was also the time when things went crazy. In first year the troll, in second year Mrs. Norris was petrified, and this year Sirius Black would attempt to break into Gryffindor tower.

Even if Sirius wasn't guilty, he sure acted like it. Destroying paintings, holding knives over sleeping children. Saiph knew the real reason behind these actions of course, but surely there was a better way to go about these things.

Last period of friday was double Herbology with the Hufflepuffs. Todays' strange magical plant to tackle was Asphodel. They had to root the plants for draught of living death ingredients. Saiph recognised the plant as one you would find flowering in Persephone's garden in the Underworld. What? How did she know that? It's not like she'd ever been to the Underworld. Had she?

As soon as the class was dismissed students excitedly swarmed out of the Greenhouse and back to their common rooms to get ready for dinner. Saiph suspected many were going to bed early that night to prepare for Hogsmeade bright and early the next day.

There was a bit of free time between the end of class and dinner that students liked to call 'Happy hour,' though it wasn't very happy. If you were lucky enough not to have homework then you could spend it taking a nap or chatting to friends. Unfortunately, most students (Saiph included) weren't that lucky. They spent these hours in the library completing overdue assignments.