I. BODY

(CONTENT WARNING: trauma, slight gore, anxiety, implied alcoholism, language)

You sat on the right side of the dingy floral sofa that resided in the middle of your living room. You didn't know how you got there, or how long you'd been there, but the room was dark. You could only see the vague outlines of the other furniture and decor in the room as the dim light from the television ahead of you reflected off of everything. The device within the dusty entertainment center was on, but it only displayed black and white static, white noise loudly emanating from the speakers in an almost threatening manner. You struggled to observe the rest of your surroundings in the near pitch-blackness when you noticed something in your hands. You were already seated at the edge of the couch, but you leaned forward to observe what was in front of you. Sitting on the faded rug in between you and the round glass coffee table was a small girl. She was between your separated knees, facing the television in silence. Her long black hair was partially being held by your left hand, and a pink glittery brush was gripped tightly in your right. You instinctively began brushing the hair, separating any tangles with gentle ease. Glancing to the table, you saw two hair bands with two large yellow beads on each band. Cassidy.

A sigh of relief escaped your lips as you continued to brush your ten-year-old sister's hair. You must've fallen asleep watching TV with her again. Although, it was strange that she hadn't woken you up to fix whatever was wrong with the television. You wondered how long she'd just been watching the unnerving static, and if your mom had come back home from the bar tonight or not. Maybe she was crashing with one of her boy-toys. Either way, you didn't really care. You set the brush down on the couch next to you and reached for Cassidy's shoulder, shaking it gently.

"Cassie? Cass, why didn't you wake me up? What time is it?" You quietly asked her, but she didn't respond. Maybe she was asleep like you had been. You placed your left hand on her other shoulder as well, shaking her a bit more firmly this time. She'd always been a heavy sleeper.

"Cass, c'mon let's get you to bed." This time, she fell forward onto the floor with a thud before you could catch her. You cringed as you heard her head hit the ground. You immediately left the couch and leaned down to pick her up, determined to get her to her bed like you did almost every night. You reached down to pick her up, only to be met with complete horror.

Your heart stopped as you noticed a dark red liquid piercing through the area rug, splattering a large circumference around your baby sister. Holy shit. How did you not see this before? What was going on? Sweat began to drip down your brow bone and the static from the TV seemed to grow louder, laughing shamelessly at your confusion. Your hands fumbled and shook as you rolled Cassidy's limp form onto its back. You yelped in shock.

Blood.

It was seeping from her eyes, nose, and mouth, making her almost unrecognizable. You struggled to breathe as you noticed her hair was beginning to grow matted with it too. You stared blankly at her, your face twitching as you found yourself too shocked to move your body or look away. The static was growing deafening at this point, plaguing your thoughts and driving you crazy. What did you do? Did you do this? What happened? Why is this happening? You started to feel your limbs go numb and your vision was growing spotty as you fought to breathe.

You finally gained enough control to look away from Cassidy's horrific features and into the direction of the kitchen. The sight that met you there was even worse. A dark, shadowed figure stood in front of the counter, staring straight back at you. Its only feature that wasn't swallowed in darkness was a set of eerily illuminated eyes. The entity's silver-lined gaze chilled your blood frozen. Whatever this thing was, it was not here to help you. You sat paralyzed with fear, still grasping Cassidy's unresponsive form as the figure slowly grew closer to you. With each millimeter that it closed in, you felt a sense of dread getting stronger and stronger and you held your breath. It was almost unbearable. The static followed this figure's pattern and grew even louder, consuming you entirely. The entity reached out what seemed to be a dark wiry hand to hold in front of you, never once breaking its steely gaze with you. The white noise inside of your brain was so loud now you felt as though your skull might burst open from the pressure of it. Still, you remained focused on this being's every move. What seemed to be a mouth became visible on its shadowed face, forming a red, villainous grin. Its mouth began to open wider, emitting some sort of sound that was hidden underneath the white noise. It grew louder and louder, reaching the same level as the static and becoming rhythmic, electronic almost. Suddenly, everything went black.