Kids to the Rescue

Steve felt more pain when the Russians took One than any time they laid their hands on him. The second the door slammed shut, separating him and One, Steve's heart jumped into his throat and his stomach turned to rock. He tried to get out of his restraints, but it was no use. He looked up when he heard the guard watching him laugh.

"What are you doing to her?!" Steve yelled at the guard. 

"Testing."

"Testing what?"

"What she is," the guard sighed. His smirk darkened. "You're little любовник is a freak."
(lover)

"No, she's not!"

"You don't know, do you?" He taunted.

"I know everything about her," Steve corrected. Suddenly, he smirked. Steve's smirk made the guard lose his. "The real question is, do you know who you're dealing with?"

The guard was about to say something, but a scream bounced off the facility walls. Steve instantly recognized the voice.

"Anna!"

* * * * *

Steve lost track of how long he sat on the cold ground and listened to One scream. The longer they had her, the more pain he could tell she was in.

"Please," he said, shakily. "Please stop hurting her."

"Why?" The guard scoffed. "Why do you care so much about that. . . freak?"

"She's not a freak!" Steve yelled as he struggled against his restraints. "She has incredible powers. That doesn't make her a freak. You're the freak who enjoys torturing an innocent girl."

"Innocent?" The guard laughed obnoxiously. "You really believe this girl is innocent? Do you have any idea what she can do?"

"Yes," Steve said shakily.

"Do you?" The guard challenged. "You know that she was created to control minds? You know that she was created to get into a man's head and force him to do whatever she wants? You know that she could take over countries by one simple thought?"

"That's what you want," Steve said slowly, catching on to these Russians' plans. "You want her to use her abilities to control people or take over a government. She'd never do that."

"If she doesn't, she'll умри."

"What does that mean?" Steve stuttered.

"Die."

Steve could hear his blood pumping as the Russian left. He looked around the room, struggling to breathe. He had to do something. He couldn't let them hurt her.

His heart jumped into his throat when One let out the worse scream Steve hoped he'd never have to hear again.

"Please," he said, his voice breaking. "Please stop hurting her."

* * * * *

After another half hour, One's screams finally stopped. Steve looked up and glared at the smirking guard.

"Думаю, она не могла этого вынести."
(Guess she couldn't take it.)

"Whatever you did to her," he said through his teeth, "I'm going to do to you."

"Calm down, любовник," he sighed. "She's worth more alive than dead."
(loverboy)

Suddenly, the door was ripped off its hinges. Steve started laughing when he saw Eleven and the other kids standing in the broken doorway. The guard tried to pull out his gun, but Eleven was too fast. The guard's gun flew across the room and El caught it.

El took out the three guards with ease. As she fought them, all Steve could think about was One locked away somewhere with those men doing who-knows-what to her.

"Steve!" Dustin gasped as he ran over and started to help him sit up.

"Are you alright?" Mike asked.

"They took her," Steve forced out. Those three words made everyone freeze. "We have to find her."

"What?"

"They took One."