Safe In Your Arms

"I have to help her," Steve grunted as he sat up.

"Steve," he sighed. Dustin jumped out of the car when Steve fell out of it.

"We talked about this. You can barely stand," Dustin said as he wrapped his arm around him and helped Steve to his feet.

He started to walk Steve back to the car, but something out of the corner of his eyes caught his attention. Dustin looked over, smiling when he saw his friends coming down the hill.

"Steve," Dustin said when he saw her. "Look."

"Anna," Steve gasped as he let go of Dustin.

He ignored the pain as he walked towards Eleven helping One down the road. Guilt swarmed him when he saw how messed up she was. She could barely walk and her entire body was covered in blood and different-sized bruises. Even from where he was, he could tell something was wrong with her leg.

"Anna!"

She looked up, a sob getting stuck in her throat when she saw him walking towards her.

"Steve," she said weakly.

She pulled out of El's embrace, but the pain in her leg was too much. When she collapses, Eleven and Mike instantly leaned down and helped her. They looked up and smiled at Steve limping toward them. The kids picked up their pace.

Steve ignored the pain as he ran, closing the gap between them faster. The second he was in front of her, One let go of El and Mike. Steve caught her when she almost fell again. He pulled her into his chest, wrapping his arms tightly around her.

He felt her choke back a sob as she wrapped her arms around him. "I'm so sorry," she sobbed. "I didn't want to leave you, but I had no choice. I couldn't let them hurt you."

"It's okay," he shushed. He tightened his arms around her when she buried herself deeper into his chest. "I'm sorry I didn't try to stop them."

"They would've hurt you," One said, her voice breaking. "And I couldn't let them hurt you. They had already beat you and hit you so many times. I couldn't let them keep hurting you. They were going to kill you, Steve."

Steve cut her off as he leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. One tightened her arms around Steve as she started to kiss him back. They didn't care that the kids were giggling. Steve and One were focused on finally holding each other in their arms again.

When they broke the kiss, Steve leaned back. He reached up and gently swiped his finger over one of the bruises on her cheek.

"I'm just glad that you're okay," he whispered. "I could hear you screaming. . . I wanted nothing more than to run and help you but I couldn't. . . I'm sorry I didn't try and stop them."

"You couldn't have done anything," she said softly. "And if you had, they would've hurt you."

Steve smiled before pulling her back into his chest. He looked over his shoulder to see Dustin smiling at them. He nodded towards One in Steve's arms before mouthing something.

"Tell her."

Steve pulled out of the hug and grabbed her hands. One instantly intertwined their fingers. He opened his mouth to say something, but she spoke up first.

"Steve," she whispered. "Will you take me home?"

Steve's heart sank into his stomach when her voice broke as she pleaded. He reached up and gently cupped her cheek in his hand.

"Let's get outta here."

Steve wrapped his arms around One and helped her back to the car. As they walked by, the kids sent each other knowing looks.

"I gotta say," Dustin chuckled, "I like them together."