chapter 1

⚜⚜⚜

⚜⚜⚜

My ears are ringing as the sound of Mayven's alarm travels through our small dorm, waking up everybody but her.

Surprisingly, I was up already.

Note the use of the word surprisingly.

I rub my worn out eyes, groaning when my contacts fall out; dry. Letting my head fall back on my hair, my hairband had finally worn out, falling onto the ground and causing my brown hair to come tumbling down at uneven levels of curliness. Rubbing at my scalp to try and relieve some of the pain from a high bun all night, I squint my eyes at the sight in front of me, and sigh.

Slowly, I get up, stretching my legs, no doubt were they cursing at me for shoving them in a cramped space for over twelve hours.

Pulling all-nighters was the worst, but I'd have to get used to it if I wanted to continue architecture as my major.

Textbooks and five entire books filled with my notes for the next few semesters, I feel satisfied as I stack them together, organizing my desk and throwing away the multiple paper coffee cups I had on my table, wiping away the couple of stains I had left.

I bring out the multiple sketchbooks and notebooks and stuff them in my bag, walk out into the tiny kitchen space and into the adjoining room which somewhat resembled a room, dumping my bag in the middle of the bed where a lump lay, smacking her alarm clock off as the ringing starts to make its way into my own brain.

I did not need a headache today.

Mayven groans, covering herself more into the blanket and further rolling up into a ball.

I complement whether or not to jump on her, when she suddenly sits up, and her black eyes widen drastically.

As she starts to scream, I put my hand over her mouth, and harshly whisper.

"Good morning to you too Mav, and yes I know I look like absolute shit and probably a creature satan pulled out of hell himself, but can we put that aside? It's the first day of our last year and it'd be a real pity if I got annoyed and accidentally dropped you into a six-foot hole underground."

She rolls her eyes, and I release my hand over her mouth. She jumps off the bed, hands to either side of her waist.

She swallows, attempting to soften her dry throat before speaking. "Sometimes, I wonder how I let you physically abuse me yet I still call you my best friend."

I open my mouth in mock horror. "I do not!"

She shakes her head, smiling slightly before disappearing into her closet, which was practically useless since most of her clothes were already on the floor.