CHAPTER 12 Rājanīti (Politics)

Ari's eyes frantically searched the terrace. his heart was leaping with joy, his eyes twinkling. he was so excited that he had climbed the stairs, 3 at a time. he couldn't help the slight skip in his every step, despite the fact that it made him look like a ten year old runing home from school after a long day. he struggled to hold in the thrill that the news had brought him. To add to his misery, Mythrei, suddenly seemed to have become lost amongst the endless sea of clothes that swung high against the northern winds. his eyes were getting impatient. The terrace had been swamped with laundry lines, row after row blocking his view. But his ears quickly caught on to the sound of her anklets chiming. he smiled to himself and quietly tiptoed upto her. 

Mythrei, meanwhile, was busy laying out the clothes to dry at the other end of the portico. she was too preoccupied to notice the exhilarated Ari zooming towards her. he rammed into one of her sarees, grabbing her from the other-side. she gasped, startled as he lifted her off the ground. ayyo enna panringa? her voice squealed. her clueless pleas where falling on deaf ears, as Ari continued to laugh like a mad man. thuni ella, sho! keela erakunga, she scolded. although he didn't want to, he carefully placed her back down. eppa paathalum velayattu, evalo valandhum kolandha dha, she scolded playfully. Ari continued to grin shamelessly from ear to ear, waving a piece of paper in her face. ennadhidhu? she asked. court la vidhi vandhuruchu, kolkota nagarathula irukkara ella devadasis ayum viduthala seiyya solli, his cheeks were hurting from all that smiling. huh? her eyes widened with excitement. she grabbed the paper from his hand and stared at it. ennoda royalty cheques um vandhuruchey, he pulled out another paper from his back pocket. sila arasiyil vaadhigal um religious arictrocrats um edhirtha kooda, public ennoda book aa kondadikittu irukku. nalaikkey namma paatha edathukku motha panathayum katti registration pannalam. trust aa arambikkarom. adharavu illadha ella devadasis kkum namma trust la edam irukkum. nee aasa patta maathiriye ellam nadakka podhu!! he looked up into the sky and yelled. ipdi West bengal muzhukka, illa...namma india muzhukka evalo devadasis iruppanga la? avungalyum viduthala senja nalla irukkum, the smile on Mythrei's face had dimmed, but the tears of joy didn't leave the corner of her eyes. idhu modhal padi dha, innom romba dhuram irukku, enakku theriyum, Ari consoled. supreme court kku povvom. aana anga case potta mattum podhadhu. porattam nadatha venditha irukkum. adhukku aal balam venum. adhigaaram venum. arasiyalum venum, he sighed deeply. naa deva kku ezhutharadha irukkey, he looked into the distance as he listed his mottos one step at a time. election varra podhu. namma society ya party ya register panni election la nikkanum nu. oru seat na oru seat, adhu podhum namakku. andha oru seat laye kadhaya kaatuvo! ini adhiga naal kathindirukka venaam. ellam nalla padiya namma aasa patta maathiriye nadakkum.

their conversation was cut short by the loud and rusty doorbell. Mythrei quickly hurried towards the door after a quick tug of her pallu over her shoulders, a customary habit of women from that era, only to be stopped by Ari. naa porey, he told her. she shrugged and let him lead the way. Ari opened the door to find quite an unpleasant surprise. they were welcomed by a group of police officers. Ari? the taller of them asked. Ari nodded his head. Āpanāra birud'dhē grēptāri parōẏānā jāri āchē. Āpanākē āmādēra sāthē āsatē habē. (there is an arrest warrant issued against you. you have to come with us. ), he told him calmly. but sir, what is the reason? Ari asked. Āpani sṭēśanē paum̐chānōra parē āpanākē kāraṇa samparkē abahita karā habē. (reason ella station kku ponadhu kaprom solre), the officer yanked him out the door before he could ask anymore questions. Ari immediately protested, threatening him with legal consequences. ey!! the officer yelled in his face. Āpani yadi jōra karēna, āmi āpanākē ēbaṁ āpanāra strīkē guli karatē dbidhā karaba nā! (dei! moodittu vaa, theva illadha vela paathey, unna mattum illa un pondattiyayum sethu suttruvey. yevanum kekka maatan), he warned. his retaliations were silenced by the other officers, who promptly cuffed him and dragged him down the stairs. a horrified Mythrei watched helplessly as the barbarity unfolded. tears gushed down, as she ran after him yelling his name. ma! azhaadha ma, Ari consoled her. naa solradhu nidhanama kelu, enakku onnum aagadhu! enna pathi kavala padaatha! nee vera edha pathiyum ippa yosikkadha. namma trust oda vela mattum paaru. but mythrei wasn't convinced. she ran after them begging the officers to let him go. daivu senju naa solradhu kelu ma, idhella paathu bhayapadaatha. naa varuvey, he promised. but she continued to sob uncontrollably. No amount of assurance from Ari seemed to be easing her pain. she didn't know what to do or whom to ask for help. all her pleads were casually ignored. thankfully Mr. Chatterjee who had walked in to check on the commotion, quickly got involved. Hyālō!? Ē'i saba ki? Tumi tākē kōthāẏa niẏē yāccha? (EY! hello! enna nadakkudhu inga? enga kootitu poringa avaney?) he snapped. Tini mandira niẏē lēkhālēkhira mādhyamē mithyācāra karachēna. Tini dharmayājakadēra birud'dhē dharṣaṇa ō patitābr̥ttira abhiyōga ēnēchēna. Nijēkē ēkajana hindu hisēbē āpani ki manē karēna yē āmi tākē lēkhāra jan'ya dām̐ṛiẏē dēkhaba? (ivan koyil aa pathiyum naanga kumbidra kadavula pathiyum vayikka vandha padi ezhuthirukka. mahant na engalkku kadavul kku samam aana alu. avunga rape pannadhavum, vepicharam pannadhavum ezhuthirukka! poi prachaaram panradhu satta padi kutham, press owner unakku therinjirukkanumey? Theva ilaama idhula ella thala Idathey. illa unnayum sethu ulla thooki poduven.) the officer gritted his teeth before shoving Ari in to the jeep. Mythrei's begs turned into wails. she grabbed hold of the officer's feet and refused to let go. Sē kōnō bhula karēni. Daẏā karē tākē yētē dina (Avara vitrunga! kenji kekkarey, avar endha thappum pannala), she sobbed. Ey!Chi! Āmāra pā chēṛē dā'ō (ey! chi! kaala vidu!) He kicked at her mercilessly. but Mythrei refused to give up. she got back up and ran after the jeep as it took off. she grabbed hold of Ari's cuffed hands. Naa solradhu kelu ma, Ari begged again. ne po, bhayapadaatha, naa varuvey, he carefully slipped her hand off of his as the vehicle picked up pace. Mythrei tripped over, and fell on to the ground. her eyes soon loosing sight of Ari as the vehicle disappeared into the distance. she was coughing and choking on her tears. her body felt to sore to move. all that running had exhausted her. thankfully Mr.Chattarjee soon came to her aid. he helped her back to her feet and gave in a few words of solace. Cintā karabēna mamoni, yadi tini pratiśruti diẏē thākēna tabē tini phirē āsabēna. Āmi kaẏēkajana ā'inajībīkē cini. Āmarā tādēra sāthē dēkhā karaba. Tini nijē ēkajana ā'inajībī. Tāra kichu'i habē nā. Āmarā cēṣṭā karaba ājakē'i jāmina pētē.(nee bhayapadatha ma, avan sollirukka na ava varuva. enakku therinja lawyers irukkanga, avungalayum poyi paapom. avanum law padichavan dhaaney. onnum aagathu, mudinja innaikku saingalathukulla bail vaangiruvom), he assured.