A Prologue

"I want you to take him."

"Excuse me?" The lady favored herself in front of the mirror, fixing her face to look more decent, wearing a lip matte as her final touch-up after a sleepover. It had been going on for a few nights.

The fellow spoke further. As he was finally getting her attention. Not by much, though. But it will do for now, at least. She still spoke back to him.

"There's my junior who will be down there. I'm simply asking you a favor to look after him."

"And why would I honor that place instead?" He could sense a drawl inside of her voice. She didn't even bother to look at the guy, leaning on the doorframe with his crossed arms. She fixed her hair, bringing it up to tie them neatly as she gave her flippant remark.

That guy had a weary smile on his face, brushing them off as he just shrugs.

"Clarice. I've seen him in action before. And like it or not, he wants to pursue under your supervision as I assume there he will be specializing. You're the best in the field. I just want you to push him further. I already know that you're gonna love his potential."

She sighed, finally turning to look at him. She was thinking. And then scribbled with a huff as she rolled her eyes.

"I'll take that a yes then." His grin was making her disturbed, not sure if she likes it. Or rather, not to think of it at all.

"Who is he?" she asked, completely considering the fact if this guy in front of her was involved then no such thing as an ignorant world. He must have something behind his every action. She knew him too well by now.

"I told you, he's a junior from my medical school." She sneered at him, certainly not believing it was only as much as that.

He shrugged off again, pulling him off against the doorframe as he took his steps out from her room office. She gritted her teeth, not liking a bit when she was the one being ignored this time around. She huffed in frustration.

Golden bright light emits that reaches the side of the earth, as the sky travels around to keep a living soul doing its routine in pretty much comfortable underneath. There's one girl who wanders outside of the hospital, taking a fresh breath in the early morning. Sang it out, controlling her breathing and improving her posture.

"Hm... it's refreshing," said the girl in her yellow crew neck sweatshirt. She fixed herself, running her fingers through her hair only to make no difference. It was still a messy bunny tail for the tenth thousand times whenever she tried to change it. She slid her hands inside the pocket of her light blue ripped jeans, making her important appearance inside the building after taking deep breaths twice.

"Hello, everyone!" She greeted every person who walks past her so cheerfully. No one would go unnoticed by her. It was her routine since she last remembers, detouring every wing spread of this hospital.

She kept walking with a nonstop greeting, could not care less if they were responding to her. Sending positivity was all that mattered to her, although it was one side. It went along till she came across one large group of people, realizing that she needs to get involved immediately.

"Oh, there are newcomers!"

She halted her steps and reared back, peeping at the group of junior doctors with a skeptical brow. An intern's first day. They got together on the first morning. The sunny day indeed. She hid behind the pillar, trying as much not to make her presence noticeable to others. Though it was a rather fruitless and unnecessary action. She remains invisible to them as to whatever she was doing at the moment, unfortunately.

Her eyes roved over until they stopped at the taller figure. He's tall, she thought. He was being held by some old crying lady who appeared out of nowhere. Probably because he stood out at the back, pretty much far from the others.

"We don't know yet what exactly going on with your daughter's case. Let us come back and explain it thoroughly to you, ma'am," uttered that tall guy, seemingly calmly handling the family, who suddenly came and reached out to him. He patted the arm, consoling a bit. The old lady had to nod; It already swelled her eyes with tears but listened to the young doctor standing tall before her. She had his self-assurance calmed her down, walking down the opposite hallway.

"He's good." She spoke to herself, tailing the new guy's movement until he managed himself to sort into the rest of the group. He's eye-catching. I bet he was popular in his high school. Less to his known that the brief scene was being witnessed by some superior of his own soon.

"There she is. I wonder if she slept in her office room again."

The said lady approached the group with a very different aura. As if they forced her to be here. The funny thing, is she doesn't even have to be there all the time but here she was out of respect for the newcomers who expect to gain more knowledge and want to learn to be better. It was just her appearance that seemed distant and unapproachable. Perhaps she hardly smiles.

"Oh, Clarice... you look so stunningly beautiful today," said one person who has stood in front of the group since. His eyes slightly widened with feigned shock. The lady just took her breath after listening to the impractical compliment. They're just met earlier, so she rather felt no need to create small talk, preparing herself to begin her speech instead.

"We are here to help people by practicing our medicine. And within our concept of residency, there will be so much of you guys need to take serious note—" She completely ignored the skinny tall guy beside her. And went on saying her briefs to the young, expectant medical practitioners.

The messy bunny girl had witnessed the scene, laughing out loud while pitying the poor guy that she knew as Doctor Gideon Halt. Until she paused when she realized someone watched her. Her eyes glazed over to the tall guy back then. He looked uneasy and uncertain, staring right at her. She blinked.