Chapter 5

In the end he did not have to wait long for the first nomination to happen.

After the meals had been cleared, and the mass exodus of students had begun, a stern looking girl from Durmstrang approached the goblet. The noise and chatter of the remaining people in the Great Hall trickled away as more and more people noticed what was happening.

Hadrian, one of the few Beauxbatons left in the hall, watched as she stepped up to the goblet. The wispy age-line Yaxley had drawn gently moved with her for a few steps before evening back out into its original circular shape. Clearly this girl had either reached her majority, or would sometime this year.

It was surprisingly anticlimactic, he thought as she stretched up and dropped a sliver of folded parchment into the blue flames.

The goblet itself showed no reaction other than a brief flare; and then the girl was stepping back to a series of applause from her classmates.

Well, looks like I'll be able to test my theory sooner than I thought.

He became aware of a presence directly behind him. A smooth voice spoke softly as lips brushed against his ear. "Someone's eager, though I can't say I'm surprised the first participant is from Durmstrang. They have the least amount of recorded wins, if I recall. Stung pride is a terrible thing."

Hadrian hummed in response to Jacob's remark as they began to make their way out of the hall now that the small incident was over. They received more than a few glances as they swept passed the lingering Hogwarts students. Hadrian wondered if they were just curious because they were foreigners and therefore, unknowns; or if it was the fluent French that grabbed their attention.

"I am sure more than half of the total nominations will be from Durmstrang – their Headmaster seems the type to encourage acts of reckless abandonment. He is pushing one of them to their death."

"There is no guarantee the champions will die. I mean, the challenges will still be dangerous but if you are smart and powerful there is no reason you could not at least live through it."

"Why do I get the feeling that was aimed at me?" Hadrian asked as they made their way out into the dark grounds where the carriage was located. Jacob laughed as if he had said something hilarious.

"Because of course you will be our champion," he said with all the assurance of a seer. Hadrian actually stopped at that. Jacob continued walking, carrying on without noticing. "everyone already knows it. I doubt some of us will even slip our names in we are so sure."

"That's absurd. You are all being stupid. Just because I'm magically strong does not mean I will automatically be champion." Again, Jacob laughed as he turned to face him.

"Hadrian," his voice was almost patronising, and he stepped closer to clasp the smaller boy by his shoulders. He sounded as if he could not understand why Hadrian was even arguing this. "you are not 'magically strong'. You are a literal powerhouse. And don't start a spiel about how we are all worthy in our own way – you sound ridiculous."

Those hands trailed absently down his arms, giving a lingering caress to Hadrian's hips before falling away and returning to Jacob's side. Hadrian ignored the small flare of interest the touch ignited. Jacob's mind was obviously already moving onto other things. He could not decide if that was a good thing or not.

Hadrian looked away. A part of him mildly panicked at the thought that so many of his classmates were considering not putting their names forward. The other part of him was just annoyed. If he was going to wriggle his way out of participating, he needed to make sure some others still did it; especially the particularly talented students. If someone so clearly weaker than him was chosen it would be suspicious and questions would be asked.