Chapter 25 - Surprises and Scripts

"You're sure he doesn't know you're coming?" Scott asked as they dragged their cases through the arrivals terminal at LAX on a sunny April lunchtime.

"Nope, he thinks I'm working double shifts all weekend," Jenna laughed.

"He's gonna freak that you've come all this way," Scott said excitedly as they located the hire car they'd rented.

"I hope in a good way," Jenna mumbled. "I'd hate to turn up and him be annoyed that we didn't tell him."

Scott looked across at her as he switched the car on. "He'll love that you've come! Why wouldn't he?"

"I'm just overthinking. I am excited to see Dodger though," Jenna chuckled.

The drive seemed to take forever through the LA traffic, but an hour later they were pulling up to the electric gates to the property. Scott dug in his pocket for a second before the gates opened, revealing a huge single story house.

Jenna gasped as she took in the large windows and pillars lining the front of the house. Tall sculptured trees sat between each window, and she was met with the grandest front door she'd ever seen.

"I texted Chris to let him know what time I'd get here and he said he'd be back a little after, so we need to get in the house quick in case he turns up within the next fifteen minutes," Scott explained as he jumped out of the car and opened the trunk to pull their cases out.

As they walked up to the front door, Jenna could hear Dodger barking from inside, obviously hearing the car outside knowing someone was there.

Scott unlocked the door and they both made their way inside, shoving their cases over the threshold, and greeting the dog.

Just as Jenna pulled her jacket off, her phone rang announcing a call. Checking the screen she panicked a little.

"It's Chris! Oh shit!" She said to Scott, before sliding hitting the answer button and putting it on speaker. "Hey!"

"Hi, sweetheart," he greeted. "Urgh, I've had the most hectic morning, I just wanted to hear your voice. Although your face would've helped too, you didn't wanna facetime?"

Jenna grimaced and looked a Scott. "Oh, um. I've... Just got out of the shower?" She said, unsure of her lie.

Chris chuckled. "That's ok, I just wanted to check in and see how you're doing with your double shifts about to start."

"Oh, errr yeah, I'm okay," she said giving Scott a look as he fussed Dodger.

"I was thinking about my New York trip next month for that audition... You wanna come with me?" Chris asked hopefully.

"Oh! I-um... I'll have to check my rota for work, but... Yes! I'd love to come with you if I can get the time off!" Jenna replied excitedly. "Can you text me the dates and I'll see what I can do."

Just as Chris went to speak again a loud bark came from right next to Jenna, as Dodger heard his best friends voice.

"What was that?"

Scott and Jenna looked at each other wide eyed in panic.

"Oh... Cara and Matt got a dog the other day, and I'm watching him today..." Jenna said, shrugging at Scott who palmed his forehead.

"Oh cool! What dog is it? What's his name?" Chris asked, clearly excited at the prospect of a puppy for Dodger to play with.

"Ermmmmm.... Don't know what breed he is... His name is... Sox..." Jenna replied, pulling a face at Scott, silently asking for help.