04. state of friendship

◤                                                                                 ◥

art of the swoon, 03x1

Dearest gentle reader, it is often said that those who marry in haste must repent at leisure, a sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton, who has apparently rejected not one, not two, but three proposals already this week. Some believe she is showing admirable forethought in her deliberations, but I would venture a different conjecture, that she, like this author, is still waiting on the only suitor of note.

Dominic sat by his mother, reading a poetry book. He sighed, rubbing a hand down his face. His mannerisms had his mother worried, who placed a gentle hand on his arm "How well did it go at the dance?"

"Oh, don't ask him. Miss Florence Green has rejected him for good, my bet is that he's not taking it all too well." Benedict commented, causing him to look up from his book to glare at him.

Sensing the tension coming out of her son's body, Violet turned to the pacing girl "Daphne, have you thought about with whom you would like to dance at tonight's ball?"

"I have some ideas. Lord Weaver is a fine dancer." She approached Benedict's couch, making a face when he didn't move his legs. Causing him to do it in defeat.

"Lord Hardy was asking about you at White's last night." Anthony commented while reading the newspaper.

"Lord Hardy? What about the duke?" Violet asked in confusion, the son next to her matching her feelings as he glanced up at his twin sister.

"The duke has not proposed, Mama. I am still considering my best course."

"Wise girl." Anthony commented.

"And Lord Hardy is a fine option. Although, he is rather boastful." Daphne added.

"My dear, why ever do you complicate matters so? You must simply marry the man who feels like your dearest friend." Dominic looked down after his mother's words. Remembering his conversation with Florence.

His sister seemed to feel the same way, unsure "Is that it, Mama? Well, how very simple indeed!" She said sarcastically.

"Yes, quite." Violet chuckled, leaving her children in thought.

Back in another ball, Florence stepped forward. Looking around, Lady Danbury nodded once at her with a smile. Her doing the same. She took a deep breath, seeing her brother with Daphne. Dominic wasn't sure how he got by her side, it was as if his body pulled him towards her no matter what. The two stood next to each other, causing their mothers to chatter among themselves. Giggles being shared as they continued to not glance at the other "Are you here to ask me for a dance?"