10. state of family

◤ ◥

◤                                                                                 ◥

capital r rake, 2x01

There is nothing quite like the sweet-scented smell of success. But after taking in the scene from last night's festivities, it is clear the season won't be quite so fragrant for everyone.

The Viscount Bridgerton's own mama may have loudly declared her eldest son's lofty intentions to marry, yet I cannot be the only one wondering if this former Capital-R Rake is, indeed, ready to flourish.

Perhaps the viscount, like the rest of us, is simply waiting for the queen to finally name her diamond. Or perhaps this author should take matters into her own hands.

The Queen folded the parchment, the girl by her side taking a short sip from her tea as she said, "I shall not be hustled into making my selection. Not by anyone."

"Of course, Your Majesty." Brimsley replied.

"Take this away." She ordered him, "And bring me a list of the peerage." Queen Charlotte stared off until he left, turning to Florence slowly, "Now, I am under no pressure. But I should hear your opinion. Has any lady caught your attention?"

"Well, I believe Miss Edwina is quite the diamond." Florence replied kindly. Lady Danbury had asked her to speak highly of the young girl, once she heard about her having tea with the Queen. However, she planned on doing so herself. Eloise didn't want the attention on herself, but Edwina welcomed it gracefully.

The Queen hummed in thought, before changing the subject abruptly, "How is marriage treating you?"

That brought a grin to her face, which Charlotte noticed right away. She smiled to herself, watching her talk about her husband, "Oh, it is quite lovely. I never thought I could love someone as much as I love Dominic. He's not only a gentleman, but he's also cultured and kind and honest and..." She trailed off, her eyes wandering somewhere else.

"I understand." The Queen said, her eyes also moving away from the girl. They stayed in silence for a couple of seconds, both thinking about their own husbands. Charlotte then glanced back at Florence, smiling softly. She had no daughters, so she enjoyed her company deeply. Florence glanced back at her, not seeing her just as The Queen, but also seeing the woman underneath the title.

Dominic sat with a book on the other side of the room, glancing sideways at Eloise and one of his suitors from time to time. The youngest siblings played on the floor, while their mother prepared some tea for everyone. "Some tea, my lord?" She asked the young gentleman.