Chapter 34-Mor

I tried everything I could to get Amren to talk to me but she wouldn't budge. I shot a concerned glance at Azriel who was hiding in the shadows unsure of what to do. He nodded at me and slowly approached us as if he were scared Amren would run away if he came too fast. Amren looked up at him for a moment before dropping her head down again.

"Amren, please. You have to tell us what's wrong. How can we help?" I pleaded with her, putting my hand on her shoulder. Usually she would brush away my touch but I got the impression that she just didn't have the strength or the will to be her usual self.

"Amren. What did they do to you?" Az whispered, sitting on the arm of the chair.

"I-I don't know," Amren choked out. I looked at her in surprise. "They did something, I don't know! My magic. I'd been so focused on healing Cassian's wings that I didn't notice my magic was diminishing from using it with no break. I didn't give it time to replenish. I-I just need to rest," her shoulders slumped in defeat.

"How did they capture you?" I asked softly. Her old stormy eyes were coming to life again. We just needed her to keep talking.

"The soldier, he had something that blocked my magic. I've never felt anything like it. It made me weak. Without my magic, I'm useless. I know the basics to defending myself, but I'm not a fighter. He's probably had years of training. He knocked me out within minutes."

"Then I'll teach you," Cassian spoke up. I whirled around to find Cassian's grief stricken face. "This is all my fault. If it weren't for me-"

"It's not. The fault is mine." Amren stood up and straightened her already straight clothes. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to rest." She walked over to Rhysand and whispered something in his ear.

He offered her a small smile which she surprisingly reciprocated. "Welcome back, Amren," he said as he carefully handed her the two halves of the book. Without a word, she turned and headed into her room. The door shut behind her as if a gust of wind blew it closed.

"She's back," I whispered to Az and Cassian, as tears filled my eyes.

"She sure is," Cassian whispered back to me with a relieved smile on his lips.