Chapter 30

Madelaina:

A week goes by quickly. Too quickly.

Before I know it, it's Sunday and although I get to lie in bed for double a few hours longer, my mind is plagued with the anxiety of what is to occur later this evening.

The past few days have been mostly the same. Going to class, spending my frees at The Witchery. All accompanied by the boys and Althea, who, I think, is staying for good now. I hope.

And it has also been a distraction. One that I now cannot have because what it was distracting me from is now less than a dozen hours away.

Stupid Agosti. This is all his fault. He's lucky we're preparing dinner for everyone. If it weren't for that lone reason I would have poisoned his food and happily watched him die in the chair across from me.

Okay, that might be a little dramatic. But I think I've gotten my point across.

I take a deep breath in and turn over to see Salem lounging on the windowsill, basking under the temporary sun. I must've left my curtains open last night.

I push back the covers and walk towards her, picking her up and feeling her now hot fur warm my skin.

"Good morning." I smile down at her and hold her tight.

"Della?"

Ugh. It's too early to talk to people.

"Come in!" Is my reply however.

My mother saunters into my room. Already dressed and carrying a breakfast tray in her hands.

"You missed breakfast, tesoro. Are you feeling alright?" Evil woman. She knows exactly how I feel. I've expressed to her my hatred of the boy next door but each pleas to cancel was met with a raised eyebrow, a slow smile and a hand waving me away.

She laughs at the glare I send her and places the tray on the table next to the sofa. "Come now. It's one evening. It's not like anyone is going to die."

"Unfortunately." My mumble is incoherent as I let Salem leap to the hardwood and back up to the sill.

But apparently, not entirely inaudible to the likes of my mother as she swats my arm before handing me a slice of toast.

"I don't see why you don't like him. He is a perfectly fine boy."

"If perfectly fine is your way of saying an annoying, entitled stronzo-"

"Language."

I roll my eyes and take a bite of the toast. The sweet taste of honey greeting my tongue.

"I'm serious mamma."

"Well, everything Verona tells me of him is nothing but good. He is a sweet boy. And he looks after his little sister. Like you."

"Please. We both know we could throw Alessia to the wolves and she would somehow become the Alpha."

"Mm. That girl does know her worth to say the least."

We laugh and then I remember why we weren't from the start.

"I'm still not happy about this."

"Shame." My mother kisses my cheek before she practically skipping to the door. "I'm expecting your best." And then she is gone.

Witch.