12. The End of Time

The Master finished his speech, taunting us. The Doctor's face aghast in a horror I didn't understand. My own face displayed shock, but it was not like his. Something else must've happened after I left.

"What's he on about? What's he doing?" Wilf stammered. "D-Doctor, what does that mean?"

"A white-point star is only found on one planet," I explained. "Gallifrey." I felt the timelord begin to tremble in my arms.

"Which means: it's the timelords," my old friend quaked. "The timelords are returning." His body tensed as he shook. His breath was heavy, and his eyes pooled with more tears. I held him tighter in hopeless attempt to console him.

"Well, that's good isn't it?" Wilf wondered. "I mean, that's your people, you and Maverick." Without warning, the Doctor shrugged me off and grabbed the gun, and now fear stung in my hearts. He analyzed the weapon in a blurry rage, then he sprung up from his spot and hurried out the room. Wilf and I shared a look of great concern. I rose to follow him, not caring if the old human stayed behind.

Tut. Tut. Tut. Tut.
The noise signaled to me again, continuous and present. Repetitive but faint. It stayed.

I caught up to the Doctor who rushed to the PA system. He pressed a few buttons and the noise played over the whole craft. The Vinvocci were there.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

We all listened. I heard it twice, one coming from my ears, the other from my mind.

"What's that?" Addams asked. I looked at the monitor Rossiter stood before.

"It's coming from Earth," he explained. "It's on every wavelength." The timelord's face remained frozen in fright.

"It's a signal," my voice trembled as I too began to fill with fear. "It's the Master. He's bring back the timelords."

The old man hobbled in behind us. "But you said your people were dead! Past-tense," he countered. The Doctor rushed around the room, fussing with wires and cables.

"Inside the Time War," he fumed. "When the whole war was time-locked, like sealed inside a bubble."

"It's not a bubble," I argued. I had left Gallifrey after I heard the council discuss using it, and I suddenly became aware of why the Doctor was so terrified. I have an eavesdropping problem.

"Just think of it as a bubble," the Doctor growled. "Nothing can get in or get out of the time-lock. Do you see? Nothing can get in or get out, except—

"Except something that was already there," I concluded.

"The signal!" Wilfred exclaimed as he finally understood as well. "Since he was a kid!"

"If they can follow the signal, they can escape," my old friend spat out quickly. "Before they die."

"Well, then, big reunion! We'll have a party," the old man suggested. I shook my head.

"There will be no party!" The Doctor barked.

"But I've heard you talk about your people like they're wonderful," Wilf remembered.

"That's how I choose to remember them. The timelords of old," he explained. "But then they went to war, an endless war." He whizzed passed an buzzed a control box with his sonic screwdriver.

"It changed them, corrupted them. They must've gotten far worse since I left," I added.

"You seen my enemies, Wilf," the Doctor breathed. "The timelords are more dangerous than any of them." He frantically worked around the room, trying to get it functioning so we could get back to Earth.