Chapter Three

Was it wrong to judge this tom? Applekit didn't seem like he was from StarClan. Yet she somehow believed what he was saying. A riot, in StarClan? That must've been pretty bad. What team was Shadepaw on? Applekit shook her head dismissively, sending away the questions, it was none of her business after all. Berryleaf had taught her manners, being stuck in the den for so many moons, there wasn't much more to do.

But after Applekit's first time out, Berryleaf's heart had softened, although strictly forbid the forest, the camp was hers to walk through. Applekit exited the den at Sunrise.

She had meet the three apprentices not so long ago. Sorrelpaw, Hollypaw and Fernpaw. All three apprentices had told her to enjoy her time as a kit, and sleep in, and to treasure it. Snowpaw had said that. He was exhausted when he had came back from training that day.

Applekit began to walk around camp, looking for something to do, perhaps Berryleaf has some sense to keep her in the Nursery. It was only her fourth time out, but everything had already been explored. She sighed, maybe that Shadepaw cat would come and tell her some other ominous stuff she didn't understand.

She strolled through camp, looking for something interesting to do. Warriors wee beginning to wake and buzz around the clearing, no later did she see Fernpaw, Hollypaw and Snowpaw leave the den and padding towards three warriors.

The deputy of ThunderClan, Redfang, was standing below the High-Rock, with warriors gathering around him. Although Applekit didn't hear him, his mouth was moving and his tail pointed to warriors, signalling he was organizing patrols.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a tom slink out of camp. The tom looked just like Redfang, but he had big white paws instead. Berryleaf had never mentioned a father, but Applekit always suspected either Redfang or his brother was. She assumed she was looking at his brother, the same russet pelt as Applekit must've came from some cat.

Perhaps she could go say yellow, get to know him better. She assumed that would be the first step to earning his trust. She didn't want herself to look like a mouse-brained fool and go up to him, saying, "Hi are you my father?" She chuckled at the funny thought, although it would be cool yet embarrassing to do.

Applekit followed Redfang, not noticing she had left camp. She followed the flash of red fur in the green leaves, a low whisper she heard a bush rustle as Redfang slipped through it. Applekit followed behind him. Just as she emerged she heard a low voice grumble, "Have you completed the phase?" The voice asked. Applekit froze in place. This voice was not one of ThunderClan.

"Yes," Redfang's smooth voice responded, cool and confident, "I have destroyed most of our bramble barrier when the Clan wasn't looking. I can't believe they actually didn't look or ask me! I'd didn't even need to mask my scent!"

A hiss of pain sounded in the Clearing, followed by the deep cat's voice, "Fool. You mouse-brained fool. If they do find out, we'll lose our most valuable spy!"

"R-right away, I'll mask it immediately." Redfang stuttered, whimpering in pain. Quickly changing the topic, he continued his report, "No new recruits that I know of yet. And Berryleaf's letting Applekit outside the Nursery."

"That she-cat has finally got some sense kicked into her. She will make a good heir."

"Applekit doesn't know I'm her father, ever since Berryleaf and I broke up, she's never mentioned it once." Redfang said quietly.

Now I do! Applekit thought furiously, And I also know you're a traitor! I just need to learn what's the rest of your plan!

"So have you decided the first victim? Remember, it needs to make Adderstar suffer! He was always a weak tom, whoever thought Froststar would make him leader after he died? Pathetic tom."

Redfang gave a snarl of agreement. That was all Applekit heard until a jaw clamped on her scruff. The bite was hard than a lift, it was a true grab, the cat picked her up with ease and strides through the forest silently, Applekit didn't say a word until the voices died down. She didn't want pursuers. Especially if it was one of her friends.

After a safe distance. She felt the grip loosen and she fell to the ground with a plop. Quickly scrambling to her paws, she looked with infuriating green eyes at her 'attacker'. Her heart lurched at the familiar black pelt, "Shadepaw?"

"Hi Applekit." Shadepaw replied, resisting an amused look. But his eyes acted differently, they seemed unfocused, Shadepaw wasn't telling her something. But Applekit didn't care. She had just overheard something very big.

"Did you here what they were talking about? They're going to rip our Clan apart by killing everyone Adderstar loves! Than when he goes insane... Everyone else'll be insane and-"

Shadepaw intercepted the young cat's panicking report, "Applekit, listen, only you and I know of this threat, you mustn't tell anyone else."

"Only you and I?" Applekit echoed, her fur was on an end, and her eyes wide, "What about the rest of StarClan?!"

Shadepaw shifted uncomfortably, "Yes, yes, they know too."

"What are we going to do?" Applekit asked, she was on the verge of crying.

"We'll fight them."

"So you're going to tell ThunderClan?"

"No."

"Then what are you going to do?"

"Nothing."

"So what am I going to do?"

"Spy on them some more."

"What?!" Applekit shrieked. Shadepaw looked perfectly calm, but he was probably trained, StarClan had always acted like this when confronting living cats.

"Applekit, in three moons you are going to be an apprentice, I want you to watch how Redfang's acting in camp. Once you become an apprentice, follow him out of camp too. Is that understood?"

Applekit gave a gulp and nodded steadily. Suddenly, a fierce determination entered her veins. And her little pelt suddenly felt very big. She wasn't going to be a kit soon. So she had to stop acting like one. Whether she liked it or not, she had an important destiny, one that could either kill everyone or save them.