Chapter Thirty-Five: Teamwork Makes the Team Irk

Cordelia had no interest in surrounding herself with authoritative figures after the first task's events. It had been around two weeks since the champions faced the towering Yetis and cheating French, but the aftermath of their actions prevailed.

Every headmaster seemed to have a reason to glare at their champions as they settled in their seats for the meeting.

The Dumstrang headmaster stroked his beard and frowned at Daniil, recalling how the short blond had suffered severe injuries and resided in the hospital wing for the greater part of the first week. It didn't help matters that the only other champion who was severely injured, Estelle, was healed and ready to go within two days of the task.

Dippet seemed pleased that his champions hadn't suffered any major injuries, but his face lacked its usual cocky smile due to their distress and disobedience. Not to mention the riotous party the Hogwarts students threw mere hours after the task.

Cordelia presumed the only thing stopping the headmasters from cursing their champions was their pride and the fact that Magnus, Camilla and Tom hadn't quite done anything to upset their professors.

It felt odd being grouped with the seemingly weaker bunch, especially after Cordelia had placed second in the task, but the brunette chose to remain silent for once and instead allow Madame Maxime to conduct the meeting.

"As you all know we have gathered here today to discuss the second task."

The six champions subconsciously straightened up at her words. Estelle and Daniil seemed exceptionally keen on redeeming themselves after their previous mistakes, their dark eyes focusing solely on Madame Maxime's frame.

Dippet, Dumbledore and the other male headmasters present didn't bother intervening as they allowed the French headmistress to speak, filling the room with uneasy silence as the champions shuffled in their seats and occasionally glanced at one another.

"Unlike the first task, the champions of each school are expected to work together in this task. This means Camilla and Estelle, Daniil and Magnus, and Cordelia and Tom will work as duos to surpass the obstacles."

Cordelia sneaked a glance towards her right at those words, briefly meeting Tom's muddy gaze as Madame Maxime continued.

"Each team will receive a unique clue that will lead you to a riddle. This riddle will aid you in preparing for the second task."

The giant-like woman raised her left hand as she spoke, summoning three peculiar boxes onto the table.

A brown, worn-down box lay between Cordelia and Tom, its exterior bland and lacking any designs. The box looked quite underwhelming in comparison to the deep green circular box for Dumstrang and the black, rectangular music box for Beauxbaton.

It was as if Hogwarts was regarded as the least important, or plainest, and Cordelia hated it.

Tom seemed to reflect her emotions as he didn't bother staying longer, only taking the time to bid Dippet and Dumbledore a good day before he left with the box in his hands, compelling Cordelia to follow right after.

The two of them didn't bother with conversations as they walked away from the headmistress's office. A heavy silence fell over them as Riddle led the way, taking twists and turns away from the main area of the palace in search of a discreet room.

His desired destination came to them as a shabby, abandoned corridor covered in cobwebs and bizarre stenches. The peculiar swirls on the walls and the lack of classrooms near the hallway led Cordelia to believe Tom had led them to an old duelling club destination.

"Open it."

While the Dark Lord had held onto the box ever since they received it, he wasn't keen to open it and handed Cordelia the task.