Chapter Thirty-Seven: Parental Control

Cordelia was never one for hospital wings.

The dreaded chambers had always reminded her of her father's office. Visually, there weren't a lot of similarities between Arcturus's messy study and Beauxbaton's grand hospital wing, but if one were to observe more than what meets the eye, the similarities were drastic.

While the Black manor was void of any sunlight, the hospital wing's grand windows welcomed the setting sun, its rays almost as golden as the pillars guarding the entrance. The room's jovial appearance, however, was antithetic to its environment.

Much like her father's study, the hospital wing was filled with the pungent scent of blood, sweat, and potions. A deadly combination, one that burdened Cordelia with a sense of dread as her blue gaze raced around the room.

Any thought of her father was one the brunette highly resented, yet it was difficult to evade her mind's murmurs when the boy lying beside her was so much like Arcturus.

Ruby lips and peach blushes were replaced by underwhelming greys and blues. Tousled strands of hair caressed his forehead, the dark brown contrasting heavily against his pallid skin. Even with the golden sunlight and several warming spells, the Dark Lord's complexion was as pale as the Grey Lady's.

The only splash of colour, save for his hair, came from the dried blood stains littered across the sheets.

Even with her expert healing charms Cordelia had failed to stop the wound from healing and had reopened the hole while levitating Tom through the palace.

Madame Brin, Beauxbaton's head healer, had abandoned Estelle as soon as Cordelia walked into the chamber with Tom floating behind her. The elderly lady had thrust two vials of potions into her hands and ushered the Hogwarts champion towards Estelle, muttering quickly before giving Tom her undivided attention.

At first, Cordelia hadn't bothered moving, simply watching the blonde woman work. It wasn't until Madame Brin started undressing Tom that the snake's eyes shifted away from him and towards Estelle.

"Open up, Vaillancourt"

A pink blush dusted across her cheeks as Cordelia held up a spoonful of the potion for the quiet girl. For a moment Estelle looked like she was going to say something, perhaps mock Cordelia for caring so much about her partner, but she decided otherwise and quietly swallowed her potions.

Even after she had put the French girl to bed, Cordelia couldn't fathom watching Madame Brin and chose to tidy the hospital wing's shelves as the elderly woman worked.

"He is stable for now, but needs a lot of rest."

Cordelia took a moment to decipher the healer's heavy accent, but quickly turned towards her and nodded briefly. Her gaze drifted towards Tom as Madame Brin retreated to her office, muttering about potions and charms as she walked.

Tom Riddle looked terrible.

Over the past hour, he hadn't improved much, only letting out a shiver once in a while or turning in his sleep. It occurred to Cordelia that this was the first time in six years she had watched him sleep, it was also the first time she watched him let his guard down.

Without his usual frown and glare, Tom almost looked normal, like a wizard who didn't aspire to commit genocide for a living.

Professors and students alike had come and gone, checking on either of the champions and congratulating Cordelia as they left, yet Tom had not once resorted to his usual sneers and taunts. Several of the visitors had insisted on leaving Tom alone and returning to the palace, but it felt wrong for Cordelia to face the people alone.