Chapter 9

Night has fallen and I stretch in my shorts and over sized shirt. Finding myself rather restless. Me and Nico have only really spent one night together in the same bed and right now I can't stop thinking about how annoyingly bossy he is, or how his touch makes my skin tingle.

I picture his green eyes staring into mine, his full lips being wettened by his tongue and a shiver runs through me. Great so does his face apparently

My door creaks open and I find me fingers curled around my knife

"Em, you awake ?" Sighing I let it fall back where it laid

"Yeah" Nico enters the room

"Can I?" I nod and he climbs into bed "couldn't sleep"

"Me either" settling back onto my pillow. We lay there for a while and before I could say anything I heard it, a creak. It was quiet enough to dismiss under normal circumstances, but with our lifestyle it was enough to get you killed.

Tip towing from the bed, knife in hand sliding behind the door

"What are you ..." his words fall short as a silencer slides past the doorway. His eyes glance to mine as I signal for him to Shh, blade in my right, my left hand up by my head.

Nico stands pocketing his hands as the perpetrator enters more into the room. My eyes widen to him, flicking for him to move, hide. He shakes his head no slowly.

"Well aren't you a lovely little bonus" the man begins to snicker, barrel pointed to Nico who shrugs

"Unless you count for her" before the man could glance in my direction, I slice the joint of his right arm hding the gun. He growls applying pressure to the joint as I pull the gun from his hand, stab his once in the stomach and slam his head into the bedside drawers

"And what was you hoping to achieve by standing and pocketing your hands ?!" I hiss to him in the silence

"I had faith in you" he shrugs catching the gun I threw to him "I hope he's alive.." our eyes falling to the unconscious man

"And if he isn't ?" My hands searching his belt for a knife

"Then I won't be able to have my turn" my eyes connect with his as I release a hunting knife, twisting it to the light of the moon

"Well whatever he was planning, I wasn't suppose to survive" his jaw tightening to my statement in silent agreement.

"Let's see if there's more" I nod to him as we silently move from behind the door, Nico flanking my left.

After clearing the first floor, we decend the stairs stopping outside my office.

"See anything ?" We don't hear a reply knowing there must be at least two. Nicos eyes look questioningly at me and I shrug my shoulders, unsure why they are here.

Counting to three he kicks the door open shotting one in the leg near the window and dodging the others punch from beside the door. Once straightened, Nico slaps the bud of his gun into the man's temple disorienting him and shotting the window sill where the other reached for his gun. I watch the wood splinter, starring at my husbands broad shoulders, his features of stone when a knife lands into the door frame next to my head. I watch in slow motion as a strand of hair falls like a feather to the floor, my ear heating up from the small slit where the knife grazed.

Nicos eyes flick to mine as I clench my jaw pulling the blade from the wall, receiving a blow to the face from the hit man who had gained on him in the distraction.

"Nico.." his name passes my lips as I hear a distinct click. I begin to run with a dive sliding into the living room, my heart quickening as bullets penetrate the wall.

My assassin enters, examining the darkened room unaware of my wear abouts behind the sofa. I hear the curtain ruffle, his heavy boots walking towards my area. Bracing myself, I press my shoulder into the back of the sofa, feet standing firm.

As his feet approach, I push my hardest knocking him into the sofa his shins battered by my makeshift ram. Stabbing my knife into the back of his hand the gun drops immediately, pulling my hair with the other

"You bitch!" Venom hinting his voice as I grapple with his hand. Deciding it wasn't working I rip the knife from its bedding, burying it into his throat till all that's left to see is the hilt. His hand falls from my hair as I stand to catch my breath, taking his gun.

Walking back to my office, Nico appears. Face slightly bloodied from a busted lip and a cut brow, his bare chest covered in splashes of red. I run to his side my hand caressing his face, as I look for more wounds

"Get of me ! No !" Breaking apart we begin to decend the stairs to the staffing corridor. Inside we see Nicos butler go down with a blow to the head as Mary claws and pulls at the arm of a man, pinning her to the wall by her throat. My mind races with images of the young maid before me. Her pained eyes stained with tears.

Weighing up the gun I shot him in the leg. Mary slides down the wall from his relaxed grip, panting and rubbing at her neck as she crawls to the butler. I walk to the man ripping the knife he carries from his belt and bury it into his stomach. The sound of Mary's and the young maids whimpers and cries merging in to one, the fear I felt from that man exposing me while my front was crushed to the wall, the feeling and sound of his snapping neck echoing in my ears.

"Emilie.. Emilie .." I wake from my rage to a hand on my shoulder

"He's dead..." my brows furrow as I blink multiple times to the green eyes that stare at my level

"He's dead" his hand taking the knife from my own, his thumb catching the tears that roll down my face. My eyes catch Mary's, her sorrow mirroring mine. Using my forearm to wipe my nose, I ascend the stairs numb to the main house. Nico stands above the man I slaughtered, blood droplets running down the walls connecting to the puddle formed beneath the body, slow currents flowing down the grooves of the tiles.

Eleven