chapter 23.

two years ago

"i don't get it!" sooyoung rakes her hair with her fingers in frustration.

"did you finish?" wooyoung peeks his head from the kitchen. "my mom made brownies."

"i'm not yet done." as she breathes in, the aroma from the baked goods filled her nose. "that smells so good."

"oh, honey. if you think that's good, you should try wooyoung's cooking." ms. jung announces whilst taking off her mittens in a rush. "i'll be off now. take care, you two."

both teens bid her goodbye, thanking her for the food.

the boy smiled, placing down the tray. "careful, they're hot."

she almost drooled from the snack but put her focus back on the book in front of her.

wooyoung saw her have a hard time. "do you want to go through it one more time?"

"no!" the girl almost instantly said as she covered her work, only to mumble afterwards, "you said you'll let me taste your cooking if i answer this by myself."

in order to not look like he was making fun of her, he had to suppress a grin. "you're doing all this, but you're not even sure if you're gonna like it."

"that's why i wanna taste it, dork."

"what if you let me help you now for insurance?" the boy offered.

the girl squinted her eyes at him. she really wanted to try his food, hearing how many times his mom talked about it and how many time he declined to cook for her only kept feeding her curiosity. "deal."

***

"why did they decide to have exam days after the field trip?"

minjee patted her friend on the head. "you can join me and jongho in studying! he's good at teaching and is patient with me."

"i don't think he'll be the same to me." sooyoung's pout deepens. "i really need to get my grades up."

the reason why sooyoung needed to get high marks was because of an all expense trip to jeju her parents promised her if she did well in the exams. this was something she and her "friends" from her previous school did quite often, but she never really enjoyed it with them. it was more of bragging who's got more money or who can provide better, rather than sharing funny stories and simply just hanging out.

this time around, she wanted to bring minjee, san, yunho, mingi, and jongho with her and have fun. it's what's making her so eager.

"mingi tutors yunho and san!" the other throws ideas. "we can ask them."

"yeah, i think that's a great idea."

-

this is a horrible idea.

"then, why is the fucking x here? i thought it was below the line thingy?" yunho made an irritated face while circling something on the textbook.

"idiot, that's already the answer!" san answered aggressively.

"don't call me an idiot!" the taller yelled. "we're still solving and you would know that if you were listening!"

mingi tries to stop them, "guys, it's not that-"

but fails. "shut up, mingi!" both hushed him and continued to prove their points.