Chapter 13

Trying to make it through a school day while feeling zombified was beginning to take its toll. I leaned against the metal surface of the lockers, finding the coolness soothing rather than jolting. One hand had unconsciously slipped to the pale pink scar on my soft stomach. I hadn't dared look up what it could mean.

"We can go if you want," said Arden, who pulled a book from his locker and shoved it into his bag.

"I'm fine," I stifled a yawn.

"Did you get any sleep last night?"

"Compared to how I've been sleeping recently, last night was a winner."

He clanged the locker door closed and hooked his arm through mine. "Come on. I'll walk you to class. He tugged me away from the lockers, breathing in his designer perfume. Apple and ambery wood.

"Looks like you dodged a bullet there, Will."

I tensed at the familiar honeyed tones. Simon. He'd never liked me. Peeling myself away from Arden, I saw Will and Simon lounging against lockers further down the hall, as though my meer thoughts had summoned him.

Will screwed his mouth up. "At it again, Riley? Looks like you're a slut after all."

"What did you say?" Arden moved, protectively blocking my body with his own.

My hands shot up to grasp the top of his arms. "Don't."

"Did you hear what the piece of shit called you?"

I heard it. As did the magic within me that was now begging to be released on his sorry arse. I took a deep breath. "It doesn't matter. Let's go." I tugged at the short sleeves on his shirt. "Come on." I clung to him, forcing him to walk away, fists by his side and a muscle twitching in his cheek.

"He's going to be sorry he said that."

"Possibly, but not today."

"I'm going to tell Fawn so she can bite his head off. If she didn't need to be at class forty-five minutes early she'd have been here to do it."

I chuckled to myself, deciding I would walk him to his class to make sure he got there without pummeling Will or Simon. I only just made it to my own class on time. Though the point of it remained to be seen because by the end, I hadn't taken in one word. Something that was becoming a regular occurrence.

Sighing, I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder, knowing I'd have to ask someone what our weekly assignment was. With a headache brewing, I started towards the door.

"Riley, can I have a word please?"

My body stiffened and I bit back an irritated sigh. "Sure."

Miss Langin waited until everyone had filed out before shutting the door and came to lean back against the front of her desk. Angry, red veins broke across her nose and cheeks like estuaries. I wondered if she was a drinker.

"I wanted to check on you. To make sure you're okay," she said, her voice syrup-thick with sweetness.

"Yes. Why do you ask?"

Miss Langin pushed the bridge of her glasses back up onto her nose. "You haven't seemed yourself recently, and as your teacher, I have a duty of care towards my students. Especially my best students who were on track to get some amazing grades. I know I haven't been your teacher for long, but I saw how your eyes light up when we study the texts."

I hated that she referred to them as texts.

"But now- You seem tired, Riley. How is everything at home? Are you getting on with your grandmother?"