Chapter 20

Rafe pulled away as though I'd burnt him. I understood why, I felt like I'd been caught doing something I shouldn't.

"Is everyone okay?" I cleared my throat and went to meet Gran and Arden in the hallway, my body several degrees higher than it should be.

Arden glided past. "No-one got seriously hurt, Riles." He went straight into the living room, leaving me with a sinking feeling.

"And the Pagnall residents?"

"Home and none the wiser."

Gran remained near the door. At first, she looked mad as hell, lips set thinly, brows drawn together, her gaze moving between Rafe and me and back again, but then the harsh lines melted into something softer.

"Let's take a look at this wound," she said to Rafe.

"I've stitched where the arrow went in, but he's not feeling great. I think it could have been poisoned."

"Sit with Arden, Riley. I'll take a look at the angel."

"But-"

She cut me off with a look, the one look I knew not to question. "We can use Riley's room. I'm assuming you can make it up the stairs?"

Rafe gave a weak nod.

"Good. Come with me."

I watched him push away from the frame, agony etched into the tight lines of his face. Dutifully, he followed my grandmother, brushing his knuckles against mine as he moved to take the first step. I stopped myself reaching for him, digging my nails into the flesh on my hand until it hurt. It felt awful to stand at the bottom of the stairs as he struggled on each step, wings trailing but to do anything more in front of Gran...

"Rebecca won't hurt him."

I turned to Arden who lounged on the sofa, an arm curled across the back. He patted the sofa cushion at the side of him. Sighing, I went to him, snuggling into his side. He rested his chin on the top of my head, drawing me in.

"He's going to be fine," then he chuckled. "You might not be when your grandmother realises."

"Realises what?" I mumbled against his chest.

"Nothing."

Footsteps thudded down the stairs not an hour later. I sat up from Arden. Gran came to a standstill on the threshold between the living room and the hallway. Her face was still tightly set, all thin straight lines. She looked pointedly at me, in an ice-sheened gaze.

"With me. Now. Arden, don't you have something to do?"

He tensed at my side before leaping up. "Yes. I have...."

Arden looked to me for inspiration. I shrugged in reply.

"I have something," he said at last, then stalked out, throwing one pitying look over his shoulder.

Every one of my limbs shuddered.

Gran spun on her heels, the expectation I would follow her a taut wire between us. In the kitchen, she stood at the sink, the whoosh of running water the only sound. It was then I realised her hands were stained red.

With Rafe's blood.

"Is he okay?"

Gran turned the tap off, drying her hands on a tea towel. "He'll survive. Not that I make a habit of healing angels. Sit." She nodded towards the table.