Family??

I sneaked out fo the dining room to avoid being seen since I knew that the moment my presence was noticed, another beating was guaranteed. I suppose I wasn't watching where I was going as I bumped into someone.

"Watch where you're going you idiot! Are you trying to kill my mate as well?"

Looking up, I nearly rolled my eyes at the people I saw. My 'dearest' parents stood there, my mother with an incensed look on her face and my father looking like he was about to jump out of his skin with fury.

"My apologies, Beta Smith." I whispered quietly. I walked away, tears pricking my eyes. Even though it had been at least ten years since every member of the Smith family had severed all ties with me, it still hurt to know that they hated me for something that wasn't even my fault.But it wasn't any use crying over them. I was better off without them anyway.

I rushed to the nursery to pick Jonathan, the Alpha's child so I could prepare him for school. When I got there, he was seated all alone. Although he was a very lively five year old boy, kids his age avoided him like he was the plague simply because I was the one raising him.

He seemed deep on thought so I just stood there and watched him for a few minutes. As I was watching, he suddenly burst into tears. I quickly went towards him. As soon as he saw me, he launched himself into my arms and sobbed, burying his face in my neck.

"Jo, why are you crying?" I asked, genuinely worried that someone had hit him. The answer he gave me completely shocked me.

"I thought you had left me." He wailed. I was puzzled. Where on earth would he get such thoughts?