1.

🤍🤍🤍

"Owie!"

The brush gets snagged in my hair once again as I struggle to brush through my head of thick curly hair.

I'm in a bit of a rush since I slept through both of my alarms (I don't know how) and my mother didn't bother to wake me up this morning.

And now I might be late to my first day of senior year!

"Ugh I give up!"

I set the brush back on top of my sink and speed out of my bathroom into my bedroom to throw on my clothes. I'm just going to wear a simple oversized pink hoodie and some form fitting jeans before putting on a pair of converse.

I grab my school backpack before rushing out my room and into the living only to see my mother passed out on the couch.

Usually I carry her to her room so she's comfortable but I didn't have the time today. I leaned over the back of the couch to whisper "Love you momma." Before planning my exit to avoid waking her up.

It's not pretty when she's rudely awakened...

I quietly tiptoed around while grabbing my keys out of the bowl by the front door before exiting the house as sneakily as possible.

Once I hear the front door close behind me I pump my fist in silent victory before locking the door and heading to my car.

While I was putting my stuff in the passenger seat I noticed a light on in the house next door to me.

I thought that house was unoccupied?

I shrugged it off before getting into my car and driving off

Senior year here I come!

🤍🤍🤍

The drive to school is uneventful but that wasn't a bad thing since it meant no traffic. But as I drive down the road my mind wanders back to the house next door with the lights on.

If I remember correctly that house had been unoccupied since me and my mom moved in back when I was 13. And there were never any interested buyers back then.

Wonder who moved in...

My imagination kept me busy as I drove the rest of the way to school and finally parked my car in the student lot across the street.

As I was getting out I heard my name being called from behind me.

"Hey Serenity!" I hear the voice of my best friend call out to me as she rushes me into a tight hug. "Why didn't you answer my text message?" She pulls back from the hug with a pout on her face.

Hayoon Dang has been my best friend since 8th grade. When we first met she didn't know English too well so she struggled to make friends. I noticed her by herself during lunch so I went to sit with her (cliche I know) ; we had fun together despite her limited English.

We were inseparable after that, We even went through puberty together.

I even got introduced to her parents during our 9th grade year.

Puzzled I looked at her in confusion "You messaged me?"

Hayoon huffs "Yea silly have you checked your phone today?"

Now that I think about it I don't think I have checked my phone today; at least not after I had left my house. I swing my backpack around in order to rummage through the front and grab my phone.

I tap the screen so it's lights up and low and behold there's 5 messages from Hayoon on my Home Screen.

Hayoon
Where r u?