Chapter 1 ~ Berry Lips

I woke to the sudden light as Balsam effortlessly pulled the blinds back. The sun had nearly set and therefore was at the perfect angle to hit me directly in the face. I shoved the mess that was my hair back, no regard for my part, and wiped the sleep from my eyes. Gross. My face desperately needed to be washed. Sitting up, feeling all tight in my back after a very, very deep sleep, I heard the sound of soft water as Balsam filled my tub.
Looking over at my bedside table I grasped the hot coffee like it was a lifeline and sipped it slowly, burning my tongue, but enjoying the feeling of the hot liquid sliding down my throat. Peeking through the doorway as I took in the world, I examined the tall fae before me. Her skin was the color of cream, dotted with soft brown freckles everywhere, her curls were thick and rough, differing shades of green, and her eyes were the exact color of honey. I never doubted she was more beautiful than me, naturally all of the fae were. Being only half always left me lacking.
"It is not nice to stare," she sang to me in that sickly sweet tone of hers, always so kind. I smiled, caught, it truly was not my fault. I appreciate the finer things in life, and that includes Balsam.
"It is only with the best intentions," I half giggled as I said this, and climbed out of my bed. She smiled back at me and walked out of the bathroom to do other tasks as I walked in. Shutting the door behind me, I undressed and slipped into the hot tub. It was scalding and smelt of eucalyptus. I liked it, but if I stayed too long I knew the heat would lull me back to sleep. I scrubbed every inch of my body, lathering it in more scented oils, vanilla and more eucalyptus, if only to hide the more human parts of me, my scent being one of them.
Ringing out my damp hair I examined myself in the mirror. At times I looked more human than not. My eyes, a dull blue, not crisp or bright like the fae's, my ears, a perfect curve rather than a sharp point, my skin a soft pale with a pink tint, especially on my cheeks, and none of the grace they had. The only dead giveaway that I was in fact not entirely human were my dirt brown wings that turned a soft blond hue towards the end to match my hair. Where most fae women were long and lanky, I had soft curves.
With a huff I turned away, comparing myself to everything I could never be wasn't going to make me anymore prepared for tonight. Though living in faerie most of my life, I did not grow up like most faerie children. My father, a human, and my mother, a falcon-like fae from whom I got my other features, did not wish for me to be raised amongst the cruelties of the gentry, so I went to school in the human world. Tonight, however, that would all be changing for me. It was the summer solstice and I was now eighteen, time to finally be presented at court as an eligible bachelorette. My mother was a Lady of the High King's court and it was expected that I be presented. The whole idea is sort of arbitrary, but I do enjoy fairy festivities. Though I have stayed far from court most of my life, I thrived every night amongst the common fae.
Walking out of the bathroom in a robe, I found a tray of strawberry toast, grapes, and some thinly sliced cheese and meat. My stomach growled and I settled down to enjoy the food, finishing my now much cooled coffee with it.
An hour later Balsam knocked and let herself in, my mother Gyr following her. Her wings were huge behind her, even bigger than mine, yet she never let them touch the ground.
"Oh, I am always amazed by your beauty, my love," she beamed at me, all teeth, as she came over and ran her fingers through my shoulder length hair.
I gave her a tight smile and stood up ready for the next few hours of prep I would have to endure.
"It will all be wonderful, I promise, regardless of any offers you get tonight, you get the final say. Just dance, have fun, and let them know who you are, my daughter," she smirked an evil smirk, ever the huntress, and kissed my forehead.
"Thanks mom, I love you."
"I love you too my sweet girl," then with a sad smile she walked back out of my room leaving Balsam to ready me.
The dress I picked for tonight was a soft blue, hugging my waist and flaring slightly at the bottom, there was a low cut v showing off my cleavage and the back dropped fairly low to make room for my wings. The straps were thin and silk strings, I was amazed they held the dress up. It was airy, adorned with small lace flowers and butterfly designs with gold embellishments. For jewelry, we layered a few gold chains, and put in gold hoops in one ear hole and gold butterflies in the other, with gold loops on the upper part of my ear as well.
I didn't much care for makeup, there was no point in covering up the human parts of me. I would own them with my flushed cheeks and imperfect skin. I put a berry tint on my lip, gold on my cheek bones and collar bones, and turned my blond eyelashes black with mascara. That was it. Balsam put gentle curls in my otherwise straight hair, tying in small braids and little gold butterflies with them. Nothing fancy was put in my hair to leave room for the flower crown I would later put on to show my eligibility to the court.
My shoes were a light blue to match the dress and you could only see them through the slit in the dress that went up my thigh. I slipped a few gold rings onto my fingers and after Balsam finally declared me ready.
"Oh, Mari, you look absolutely divine!" My mother gushed from the doorway, decked out herself in a deep red dress that barely hung on her slender body, one wrong move and she would be showing more than a human mother might, but she was not human. Her wings were on full display along with the tattoos that covered her body. A human invention, but one she dearly loved, I did too but did not have nearly as many as her.
I blushed embarrassed as my dad came in, "WOW, love, you are gonna blow the court away!" His blond hair was swept back and he wore a loose fitting black blazer and velvet red pants to match my mothers dress. The only part of him that showed his age were his eyes, a pale blue like mine, only much more tired. He had just as many tattoos as my mother. They were an outrage in the human world and at court.
"You guys are too sweet," I smiled ear to ear, unable to contain my excitement.
My dad chuckled at that and my mom stared at him lovingly as he said, "Ahhah, only honest, we should get going so we are not late for the revel. Many young members of the gentry will be presented tonight before the young High King and his court."
We rushed out to our carriage and clambered in. Beautiful black steeds of shadow pulled our carriage silently as we made our way for the castle. I picked at my nails, the only sign I was a little nervous.