June 31st, 1941

When Tom came back, he was unnerved by the silence of London.

Hogwarts had received news of the bombings, of course, merely six days after he had said goodbye to the one person that mattered. They hadn't been able to communicate because of Tom's schedule, and at night there were too many perils.

He dearly hoped it hadn't been his last words as he rushed past the rubble of homes and shops.

~flashback~

"Goodbye, Tom," Hades muttered, half-heartedly. "I'll see you in June." He spat the month, and Tom sighed.

"Goodbye, Hades," he pulled the younger boy in for a rare hug, "don't touch my stuff." Hades smirked, mock-saluting him as he released the ten-year-old.

"No promises!" he called as he walked away from the station, knowing the streets well enough to get to the orphanage.

~flashback over~

Tom practically burst through the front door, earning a sneer from Ms Cole as he dashed past, stomping up the stairs to their room.

He swung open the door to the sight of Hades flipping through his book on Tom's bed. The boy looked up, his eyes wide as if caught, but he dropped the book and flew at Tom when he saw him.

The older boy dropped his luggage, holding Hades back just as tightly—even if he wouldn't admit it.

"Tom," Hades whispered into his shoulder. Tom didn't say anything, but he tightened his grip around Hades' back.

The younger boy had fisted Tom's shirt on his back, closing his eyes to soak in the comfort of another human being for the first time in months.

After a moment, the two separated, and Tom scanned Hades for any injuries. The younger boy had grown a little, coming just up to Tom's upper arm, now, and had let his hair grow down to his shoulders. But he was fine.

"I'm glad you're alright," Tom said softly, and Hades smiled up at him.

"It's been rough, but I am," he nodded, sitting back down on Tom's bed. His own looked unused and dusty.

"Have...have you been sleeping in my bed?" Tom asked suspiciously, raising an eyebrow as he set his trunk down at the end of his bed. Hades blushed, picking up the book and hiding his face.

"Nope," he lied blatantly, and Tom smiled slightly. "I don't know why you would think that."

"It's okay," Tom told him, sitting next to him. Hades smiled sheepishly at him, resting his head on his shoulder. "I don't really care if it's you."