1994

It was a dark day, the clouds overhead threatening to spill their contents. Thunder boomed as I got out of my car and jogged up to the research laboratory building of the Syntec complex. Syntec, a biotechnology company founded on the principle of improving the future, even if that called for... unsavory actions. That word in itself was an understatement, but no one could predict what would be in store behind the simple phrase "We are the future"... not even me. For you see, Mr. Syphus was willing to do what most people wouldn't, and those things were borderline madness.

     But I digress.

     Once I reached the front door I used my keycard on the lock, having to swipe it a few times to get it open. The old thing had seen better days and it was due for an upgrade. Of course, Mr. Syphus knew that.

     I clenched the paper bag in my hand close to my chest as I quickly entered the building, the first drops of rain falling onto the ground behind me.

     Mr. Burggs, the building's receptionist, looked up at me as I walked past him and said, "Welcome back, Mr. Cobalt."

     I nodded slightly at him, not wanting to strike up conversation, but he held me back with, "I just got a call. Mr. Nathanial wants to meet with you in lab 4A. Said it was urgent."

     "Tell him I'll be there in a moment," I said before continuing down the hall to a room near the entrance, the sign next to the door labeled "Daycare".

     Opening the door to the room I stepped in and was greeted by someone hugging my leg. I looked down at the little girl and smiled at her. My little Annabelle, she brought me so much fatherly joy that was always my light in the dark... and still is.

     She grinned up at me, still clinging onto my leg, "Papa, what took you so long?"

     I chuckled slightly, "Well, if you had cleaned up your room like I told you to then I would have gotten the toy you asked for a lot faster."

     Her eyes lit up and she reached for the bag in my hand, "You got it, papa?!"

     "Yes, I did," I picked her up, balancing her on my left forearm as she wrapped her arms around my shoulders. As I walked over to the table on the far side of the room I had to step over and around toys that were strung about. The room was furnished with various kid's items and furniture: small tables and chairs, placemats on the floor, a couple of toy boxes, and a television. Once I got to the larger table in the room I set my daughter down on one of the chairs and sat next to her.

     She reached for the bag again and I smiled at her before taking the toy out of it. It was a small red car and she giggled happily as I handed it to her.

     As she started playing with it I took out a sandwich bag and said, "I also made you your favorite sandwich—"

     "Pebbyjay!"

     I chuckled some as I opened the bag for her and placed it down, "Yes, beetle. I want you to eat it before you continue to play, okay?"

     "Okie, papa," she beamed up at me before reaching into the sandwich bag to take out a slice of her food.

     As she ate I sat with her, glancing around the room. It was empty of other children, which was almost always the case as my co-workers were able to keep their children at home with their significant other. However, this was sadly not the case for me. My wife had died a few years prior from a medical issue that presented itself quickly from the shadows. When she was diagnosed with it... it was too late. It did not help that her doctor thought it was something else. And I didn't have the time to look into it myself...