12- gone

"And it is only the strong survive
And that is only the biggest lie
And I'm sorry sorry about tonight"-Current Events

*

Quinn

"Hey?" My voice is still groggy. I pull my bedroom door open all the way.

"You uh..." Bucky glances down the hallway. "Should come down for breakfast."

"You're banging on my door," I run a hand through my hair. "so I'll come to breakfast?"

An uneven smile pulls onto his lips. "Yep."

Without another word, he walks down the hall towards the kitchen. I freshen up, then follow the loud voices down the hall.

I'm halfway through braiding my hair when I make it into the bright kitchen. Voices hush, I notice Natasha first. She is staring at my with a guilty eyes, her eyebrows are furrowed and her lips turned down.

"Hi..." I let my unfinished braid loose. "I'm guessing you guys are wondering about last night." I step further into room, walking up to the island everyone was around.

"That, and other things." Steve glares at me and the glances at Natasha.

"I know it all seems weird." I rub my forearm, ignoring the way the bruises burned. "I swear I have no idea how he got in-"

"Do you at least know how he got out?" Steve interrupted, keeping his eyes low.

"Excuse me?" A look over to Nat out of confusion.

"Quinn." The redhead speaks. "He's gone. When we woke there was only an empty chair."

A cold panic seeps into my stomach. He. Is. Gone?

With a look at everyone in the room, well nearly everyone, one thing is clear.

They think I am responsible.

"I-I swear, I didn't know." I struggle to find words.

Self-doubt begins to cloud my mind. I have no memory of my old life. No memory of fighting the mystery man. Can I be sure-

"Of course, you didn't." Nat glares at Steve. "That's what I was just explaining."

Steve's stare softens. "I want to believe you Quinn. But come on Natasha, this is not something we can just blindly trust."

"Bullshit Steve." Natasha scoffs. "We're a team, trusting each other is what we do."

"Nat." Clint speaks up. "This is different."

"How?" Natasha takes a small step towards me. "I mean you all trust me. You trust Bucky." She motions to the brunette. "We both are much less deserving of trust."

"Natasha that's crossing a line." It is clear the Steve is now angry, though luckily not at me.

I feel a tap on my shoulder and Bucky is standing behind me. "Let's go for a walk." He whispers to me.

I glance back at Natasha, there is a flame behind her eyes and her cheeks are flushed. It would be terrifying if it were pointed at me. I nod towards Bucky and follow him to the back door. The argument disappears once he shuts the door behind us.

I immediately start walking towards the tree line. I didn't notice how warm my skin was, or how difficult it was to breath. The cool morning air felt like dousing a flame in water.

Bucky matched my quick pace, staying side by side with me.

"I had nothing to do with him disappearing." I say once we meet the great oak trees. "At least I don't think so."

"Okay." Bucky began to walk in the shade of the large branches.

"No. No, I didn't. I know myself enough." I walk along the trees with him.

"Okay." Bucky repeats. "I believe you. I can see it on your face."

"I hate not knowing." I openly admit. Damn I really am an open book. "I want to tell them all exactly what happened last night... or anything earlier than the past few months. I just can't." I abruptly stop to look at Bucky, he does the same.

A knowing smile pulls onto his face. "I know exactly-" He stops talking as soon as his eyes glance behind me. His expression drastically changes, the smile turns into a furrowed brow.

I turn slowly and follow his eyes. It doesn't take much searching to find exactly what shocked him.

"Oh my-" I cover him hand with my mouth.

On the ground, a head full of bloody dark hair. The intruder from last night is laying on his back, staring up at the sky. Dead.

He. Is. Dead.

The blood that was so fresh lass night is now dried and turning brown. There are a couple flies zooming around the body.

The sight and the small both make me instantly nauseous. I swallow all the spit in my mouth to cover up the acid rising up my throat.

"I changed my mind." Bucky lightly wraps a hand around my elbow. "I think watching Nat throw some dishes would be better.

I killed someone. I was defending myself, right? That all this was?

**

Natasha

"Eh." Yelena shrugs. "I've seen worse. Done worse." She poked the dead body in front of us with her foot.

"Lena." I scold. "This is serious." I don't take my eyes off his face. I got Quinn to fill me in on as much as she remembers of last night. Though the whole memory blank isn't helpful, I know she didn't help him out of ties.

I know it.

She was fast asleep when I left.

"Oh Natty." Yelena rolls her eyes. "Don't be a buzzkill just because this has to do with your girlfriend-"

"She's not my..." I give Yelena a glare before turning and walking back towards the house.

I need to clear my mind. I can't seem to think logically. Anytime I try to think through what is going on, my brain just goes to fuzz. I close the back door and speed walk through the house.

Quinn got a letter. Threatening her. She ignored the letter and someone tried to kill her. That should be the end of the story right?

Yeah, knowing how they got in and why is concerning. Most of all though, Quinn got that picture with the letter.

I open the door without knocking. She is sitting at her desk looking out the window. She turns to look at me and I don't miss the way she shoulder relax when she spots me.

I shouldn't be here.

"Nat." Her voice is quiet. With that one word I know why I can't think straight. The issue is her, her consuming presence. "Please. Please don't tell me they think I let him loose."

She's begging me. Me.

I take in a deep breath and take the remaining steps towards her. Before I can control the urge, I reach my hand out and brush a strand of hair away from her face. It's soft and bright, but most of all I can fully see her now.

"It will be fine." I tell her. "You're a part of the team Quinn." She closed her eyes and lets out a breath. The reaction keeps me talking. "Everything is alright."

***