Chapter 1

Smoldering orange eyes stared into the unmoving, peaceful figure of Senator Amidala, fully submerged in the healing liquids of bacta tank

Smoldering orange eyes stared into the unmoving, peaceful figure of Senator Amidala, fully submerged in the healing liquids of bacta tank. Her features looked tranquil, unaffected by the presence of the dark figure, uninfluenced by its glowing radiating company. She looked so beautiful, that brilliant resourceful mind trapped deep within herself, hiding... as if hiding from him...pointedly.

The eyes focused on the necklace around her smooth skin, the very same necklace he handcrafted for her all those years ago. It floated in the waters close to her still body. Her now overgrown hair drifted freely against the subtle changes of current, mimicking the movement of the bone pendant. A breathing mask was safely strapped against the senator's pretty face, allowing her to inhale and exhale safely and passively. A medical droid remained on standby, inspecting her vitals every hour, maintaining her internal homeostasis to the best of its abilities. Darth Vader provided the best medicine in the galaxy to ensure her safety, her return to him.

No, Padme Amidala was not dead, she was simply asleep, a deep, troubling sleep. A coma. One that many did not come back from. But he refused. He refused to surrender, not when he was so close...

Darth Vader placed his ungloved hand against the glass, staring longingly at his wife. She was alive, that was all he ever wanted. He felt her heartbeat through the Force, merged with it, syncing his own to match her rhythm. She felt so close, responding to his presence instantly, her limbs twitching, eyes rapidly rolling in her sleep. Vader knew if he continued to push further, her vitals would shift, protesting, spiking dangerously high, as always. But this was the only way he felt the connection...this was the only way he truly felt her.

It has been too long. Five years has passed since Order 66, since he killed his former Master, since he slaughtered the younglings. He has grown more powerful in the Dark Side of the Force, unstoppable, capable of overthrowing the Emperor if he so wished. But he waited patiently. He would not dare to eliminate the only being who knew how to save someone from dying...no, not until he knew all the dark secrets of Chancellor Palpatine. And so he waited, and waited, and waited, longing for his wife's touch, longing for a spark in her eyes.

Padme.

He knew he was selfish. Pushing into her mind could worsen her condition like it had before so many times. She rejected his forceful intrusion as if sensing him had subconsciously brought her pain. Vader swore to never lay a hand on her, to never hurt her again, but he needed her, he was fading without her.

And so he selfishly pushed forward, pushing his presence onto her bit by bit, seeing how much she could take. Her pretty brow furrowed in pain, her heart beat spiking up, but her other signs remained within normal range.

Padme.

Stopping her death has taken everything from him, his former Master, The Jedi Order, the younglings, even the name of Anakin Skywalker... all were cast aside to secure her survival. Everything, all those evil but necessary deeds he would repeat again and again just to see his wife breath, just to see her look at him. She was everything, his burning light, his undying fire, his last hope.