ONE

The bright light shone brightly overhead as the doctor looked down at the young eight year old girl with fiery red hair. Her pupils vasoconstricted under the light, causing her to wince.

She couldn't remember exactly how she got in this position. 

Or why.

But she did know one thing, and that was weakness.

And weakness could get you killed.

The doctor above her gave her a smile that didn't reach her cold eyes. Wrinkles formed around her mouth and her grey hair was peaking out from under her cap. 

The woman smiled, taking a mask and placing it over the girl's face as she slowly started to countdown from ten.

Ten, nine, eight, sev-

Vera shot up from her bed gasping for air as the memory invaded her brain for the third time this week. She looked around the room to sense any threat. Once she knew it was cleared she dragged a hand across her face, and sighed to herself.

Her phone dinged, scaring her as she was still feeling sleep linger on her body and mind. One name popped up on her screen and of course it was the one person she didn't really feel like talking to.

"Vera?" Eleanor Stark asked on the other line. Vera cleared her throat and answered.

"Yes?" She asked holding the phone up to her ear.

"I was just making sure you were alright. You didn't answer me yesterday." Elle said and Vera nodded softly to herself and spoke.

"Sorry, I fell asleep early." Was all she said as she got up from her bed and stretched. Her matching white stripped shirt and shorts moved along with her as she moved.

"Okay, well, I spoke with one of our contractors in London and of course they wanted to have the old Iron Angel Suit so it was sent to them. If you'd want maybe you could check it out for a potential job?" Elle said and Vera nodded and breathed in deep.

Ever since Vera had left the Red Room with Yelena Belova, a friend from childhood, Vera had always been one to be alone. After finding out about the death of Natasha Romanoff, Yelena hadn't spoken to Vera.

Vera always liked to be alone to deal with her own thoughts, of course having Yelena by her side made everything better, but she couldn't handle the pain of losing someone close to her again. That was why she never tried to speak to Elle Stark even though the woman had done so much for Vera.

Vera like to think of it as a way Elle dealt with the loss of her father, Steve Rogers, Natasha and a couple other of her friends in such a short time span. Her daughter, Wren, who was now about 3 years old was still kicking it with her father and mother, Vera was jealous.

"Okay, yeah. Thanks." Vera said and then hung up the phone quickly. She walked to her bathroom and got ready as she was going to get ready for her quick workout.

After three hours of mindless training, Vera had on a business casual suit that Elle had practically paid for and she made her way to a job interview. It was already passed five in the afternoon and Vera felt almost nervous as she prepared herself on the way.  

Vera stepped off the bus and made her way into the sketchy building that was ahead of her. 

She walked into the building, seeing the interior design her eyes couldn't help but wander over all the gold and pink that littered the main room. There was a staircase that had gold railings leading up to a large hallway that had minimalistic paintings decorating the walls. 

Vera looked around at the place and she breathed out softly.

"You must be Vera." A female voice said causing Vera to turn her head at the voice.

There stood a woman, who had skin as dark as onyx and black hair. Her light eyes looked straight at Vera and she smiled brightly. Vera nodded and spoke softly.

"I am." She said, her light Russian accent coming through.

"My name is Allison Dark. Elle Stark told me all about you and what you're looking for, and I think I can help." Allison said and Vera raised an eyebrow and nodded softly.

"Okay." She said and Allison nodded and spoke.

"Let's get started." She said and tilted her head.

Vera was walking down the street of London as she had finished up with Allison. She definitely has to thank Elle when she spoke to her again. 

Vera could feel the air shift as she almost walked to the bus stop and he clenched her jaw and held her fists down by her side as tried to keep her gaze straight. As she was walking she felt a force push her to the side, making her stumble across the pavement.

Vera's state of mind changed instantly as the black widow in her came out at the invisible force. Before she could fully get off the ground, a figure dressed in white jumped above her and hopped onto the invisible force. She stood up trying to see what was going on then a guy who wore a black sweatshirt and ski mask appeared, trying to go after the guy in white.

Vera hopped up from her place on the ground and walked towards the guy in black. He raised a fist and swung at her, but Vera ducked knowing that was going to be his first move.

Vera took her left leg and spun a roundhouse kick, pushing the guy back a bit farther. She brought her fist up towards his face and threw a hook, knowing she got him good. He pushed back up and looked at her, his dark green eyes focused on hers.

She furrowed her eyebrows inwards as if she recognized him but then he ran away, not looking back at the red head.

Vera turned to see who the guy in white was but he was already behind her, his eyes glowing white. Vera looked up and the figure walked to her. Vera prepared to fight against whoever this guy was but he walked up to her, towering over her, and the mask came off.

She looked up at the guy, as the bandage like mask came apart and she furrowed her eyebrows inwards.

"Who are you?" He asked and Vera raised an eyebrow and spoke.

"Who are you?" She asked and he smirked and spoke.

"Marc Spector." Was all he said.