The Sanitorium

Half an hour later, Lorelei had sequestered herself into her bedroom, wanting to be left alone. While she had accepted Hayley's comfort at first, she refused it now. In a way, she felt she didn't deserve it. Hayley didn't want to push her, having seen Lorelei cry only thrice before this moment, and only in times of extreme pain. Once when Elijah had returned and nearly killed her. The second time when she first told Hayley of the son she lost. And finally when Davina never resurrected. All moments that took a great toll on Lorelei. And now these names were tied to another source of pain – of shame.

So Hayley gave Lorelei her space, doing a bit of research on the computer in the study when Elijah returned. "Hey, look, I found –" Hayley started when he found her in the study. He was quick to quiet her with a touch on the shoulder and a finger to his lips. "You were right about the Deveraux witch," he spoke to her in murmurs.

Before Hayley truly had a moment to react, Marcel walked into the room. "Find anything about Clara the mystery witch?" he asked, crossing his arms as he came to stand near the desk Hayley sat at. "Not much. She was a nurse at the Fleur-De-Lis Sanitorium," Hayley showed her research, pulling up a picture of some of the nurses standing before the great building. "Recognize her?" she questioned Elijah. "Top row, second from the right," she added, pointing to the witch in question. "No. I don't," Elijah admitted, his astute eyes noticing how Marcel shifted, moving slightly away from them with his head hung.

"Marcel?" Elijah called. Marcel continued to shift uncomfortably. "Marcel? Do I need to remind you that Niklaus and Rebekah are somewhere suffering horribly? If you know something..." Elijah questioned, nearly threatening as he moved around Hayley to stand before Marcel. "...Talk." There was only a second of hesitation from Marcel before he gave them his answer.

"The Sanitorium. That's where you'll find them," he said before beginning a slow meander away. "Are you sure? How do you know?" Hayley questioned, and rightfully so. "I just know," was Marcel's reluctant response. "How do you know?" Elijah asked a bit more fiercely. Marcel didn't answer for a few moments, building up his resign to tell the truth.

"If I'm right, you need to know exactly what we're walking into. We did something, Rebekah and I," he confessed. Elijah straightened before crossing his arms expectantly. Marcel sighed before continuing. "I think the witches are trying to use it against her. It's... something that you're not gonna like," Marcel admitted hesitantly. That was when he revealed his and Rebekah's plot to be free of Klaus and live happily together. Bring Mikael to them.

"For the better part of a century, I wondered how father found us. What foolish mistake that we had made to destroy our time in the one place that we could finally call home. Did you know, I even blamed myself for a time, Marcellus?" Elijah's words cut deep. They were ones of betrayal and hurt. They were of pain and rage. They were nearly vengeful.

Marcel didn't respond, only looked up like a child being scolded. That was when Elijah's hand latched onto Marcel's throat and the two went flying across the room until Marcel's back slammed into a support pillar. "Elijah," Hayley called out, having jumped up from the desk as Marcel let out a groan. "Niklaus treated you like a son. Rebekah –" Elijah growled, fingers squeezing tight even as Marcel spoke up. "I loved her. I still love her. All we ever wanted was to be together, but as long as Klaus was around, that was never gonna happen. But hey, I guess you wouldn't know anything about that, huh?"

Marcel's jab brought enough rage to Elijah that it took everything in him not to break through Marcel's chest and rip his heart out right then. Instead, he released Marcel, letting him drop to his feet. "When Niklaus learns the truth, there will be no end to his rage," Elijah hissed in Marcel's ear. "I will not let my sister suffer that wrath." Marcel shrugged his shoulders to straighten his clothes, taking a step away from Elijah. "Then we need to get to them before he learns the truth." Elijah gave a slight nod. "We leave in five minutes." With that, Elijah disappearing in a blur.