~I Don't Regret It

Echoes... more echoes...

My eyelids are so heavy... open them...

I opened them a little.

Too much light.

I blink lightly only to see a white ceiling. 

I look down my body only to see cables attached to my right arm and a white blanket covering everything else.

Wait...

Who's... is that Orochimaru laying in the corner of the bed?

"Jiraiya????" 

I look on my right side, it was Tsunade.

"You're finally awake!"

I think that triggered Orochimaru to wake up, I felt his gaze as quickly as Tsunade announced that and made her way to the door.

"I'll go tell the doctors." she left.

"About time" said Orochimaru standing up looking at the window.

"How long have I been here?" I finally talked but my voice feels heavy.

"Four days" 

"You mean to tell me I've been sleeping for four days? What happened?" 

"You... saved my life." 

Jiraiya looked at his friend's back. It all came back to him. How he detected a sound coming for Orochimaru but he wasn't moving. He didn't think at all before sacrificing his life for his friend... no... this is more than that and this was more than enough evidence.

"I bet you would've heard that any moment before-"

"No... I was angry. I let my emotions take over which never happens... I couldn't stand the fact that the man who killed my parents and my clan was standing there in front of me like it was nothing and I lost control. My senses weren't like usual and that almost-... it almost got you killed..."

That last part was definitely weighting on him, Jiraiya could tell. Guilt wasn't a thing to sense from Orochimaru EVER. Regardless, the man he has feelings for was pouring his guilt and he needed to set things right. 

"I don't regret it"

Orochimaru turned his back to face the white haired man in disbelief.

"Because you're a lunatic." he said getting closer to him.

"Maybe... but I'll never think twice before sacrificing myself if it will save yours."

"Why?"

Why indeed... should I just tell him?... This doesn't seem like a good place to tell him. Then again, where is a good place to tell a friend you love them and possibly not have them love you back so the friendship ends???... I guess it really doesn't matter where at this point.

We just kept looking at each other. He seemed eager for an answer.

He reached for his hand. "Orochimaru I-"

The door opens.

"The doctor will be here in a second" said Tsunade noticing Jiraiya grabbing his hand. She cocked an eyebrow as they then look at each other and they let go quickly.

'Did I just saw Orochimaru blush for a second?' Jiraiya noticed.

"Sorry for interrupting" said Tsunade grinning widely.

The silence was unavoidable. Jiraiya wanted to say it was nothing but he couldn't lie to himself anymore. He was so close to telling him and now he wants nothing but to tell him. If that was he's case, why didn't Orochimaru say anything cocky? He looked to his side to see his serpentine friend looking out the window like he did earlier.

"Look at you!" said a voice coming from the door, it was the doctor. "How are you feeling?"

"I feel fine" responded Jiraiya forcing him out of his thoughts.

"You sure are strong ah? You woke up after only four days of losing so much blood. You were supposed to die you know" the doctor continued writing on his clipboard.

"Thank you?" the doctor laughed.

"Let me check on the stitches in your chest."

"Right" Jiraiya lowered his hospital gown exposing his top part of his torso.

He had a large gash sticked up crossing from his left shoulder down to his right side near his belly button.

Jiraiya was surprised he didn't felt this waking up. This man meant to make every intestine fall off like a barbaric execution in one slash.

"You really saved your friend, you know? This type of wound in his skin type would've been fatal instantly. You're a very good friend." whispered the doctor only for Jiraiya to hear.

Jiraiya couldn't help to look at Orochimaru. The thought that he might've be dead right now... not looking through that window...

"Alright, I see you're fine. I'll keep you for one more night just to make sure everything is clear and you can head home tomorrow morning, sounds good?"

"Whatever you say boss" 

"Perfect, I'll get the nurses to bring you food. You must be starving." and with that the doctor left.

There was silence but it was interrupted by Jiraiya's stomach growling.

"I'm definitely hungry" the three laughed and the tension from earlier left a bit.

They spent time talking and updating Jiraiya about everything new in Konoha and just spent time together but he proposed to himself he'll get to talk to Orochimaru alone once he leaves the hospital. He couldn't pretend like nothing was happening anymore.  

art does not belong to me