Chapter Seven

A few days went by before Milah felt completely comfortable leaving the bed or bringing Harriet around the other members of the Underworld crew. Not because she thought Smee, Mollie, or Sammy would harm Harriet but because that's how long it took for her body to recover from the lovely throws of labor.

Oh yeah I meant it when I said if James wants to have any more kids, he'd have to be the one to carry them, Milah thought as she picked up Harriet. I love Harriet and I can't imagine life without her but to got through that again? Not happening.

"Hello love," Hook said as he saw her walk into the den; he had been making his way back from The Jolly Rodger himself. It paid to make appearances here and there, especially as the captain. Otherwise, with both him and Smee away from the ship, the imbeciles might get it into their heads that they could lead themselves—or worse, Frollo might try to ensnare more of them. "Anything I can get you or Harriet?"

"We're fine James," Milah promised, though she couldn't help but smile at her husband's concern. It was so different from the facade she knew he had to put on in order to ensure they could survive on the Isle but it was the real him. "I just wanted to show Harriet around. I know we're likely going to go back home at some point and she'll likely never remember this but she should at least get to see her home."

Hook nodded. "Aye Milah, I wasn't saying you couldn't have Harriet out and about. I was just making sure there wasn't anything I could get for you."

"...where's Jess?"

"With Smee and Mollie, playing with Sammy. You know it might not be a bad idea if Harriet met Sammy."

"You think so?"

"Aye, it definitely can't hurt if Harriet has a friend. Plus either Jess or Harriet could use Sammy as their First Mate when they get older."

Milah shook her head. Her husband would never change—nor would she want him to. "James, why do you always think in terms of a pirate crew?"

"Why would I think any other way, love?" Hook asked. "I mean, I'm a pirate captain so wouldn't it make sense for me to think in terms of a pirate crew?"

Milah chuckled. "Well I guess when you put it like that, it makes sense. But not everything has to do with a pirate crew you know?"

"Sometimes I forget that you weren't always a pirate," Hook chuckled.

"Neither were you James," Milah said softly, giving her husband a gentle smile. There had once been a time where her husband had been a member of the King's Navy, and before that a lowly deckhand with his brother Liam.

Hook sighed softly as he walked over to wrap his wife in his arms, trying to keep enough of a gap as to avoid smooshing his infant daughter. "I know love. But I like to forget about those times. They don't matter to me, not when I've got you and I've got Jess and I've got Harriet."

"And you'll always have us," Milah promised, looking up to kiss her husband on the lips. "I promise James. Nothing will happen to us."

"Don't make promises like that love. This is the Isle of the Lost, anything can happen."

"When we're allies with the Lord of the Underworld, I think it's a safe bet that I can make promises like that," Milah told him. "And therefore I will. I know we have to be prepared for anything James, but don't darken this moment okay?"

Hook nodded. "Aye, no more talk about something happening to you girls."

"Or you," Milah corrected him. "We may live on the Isle of the Lost where the sun is blocked out but that doesn't mean we have to put clouds over our thoughts as well."