Chapter Twenty Two

A few days after her daughter's birth saw Persephone and Malinoë invited to a royal christening as Queen Belle had apparently given birth to a child of her own. Persephone was happy to attend as it meant she wasn't moping around Olympus or her mother's fields, thinking about Hades and counting down the days until she could return to the Isle.

Plus, this would give Malinoë the chance to meet other kids her own age. Not that she would realize it of course but Persephone knew from the Isle how importance alliances were. And it was just the same in Auradon.

"Now, are you sure you have everything?" Demeter asked as Persephone got ready to leave.

"Yes mother," Persephone nodded. "And if there's something I forgot, well I can survive without it for a few hours if I even stay that long."

After all, everyone was well aware that Beast had been the one in charge of the subcommittee on the council that had been responsible for setting up the Isle. Beast must have used his old plans from when he had run in the election against Eric because Persephone knew there was no way Eric would have come up with how the Isle was.

"I know, I know," Demeter said, pulling Persephone out of her thoughts. "Royal events can be trifling dull. Though there's talk that the Good Fairies will be at the christening again."

"Since when do you listen to gossip, mother?" Persephone asked, raising an eyebrow.

Demeter waved her hand, as if shooing away Persephone's words the same way she would a troublesome fly. "The nymphs are the ones who do the actual gossiping, I just have no choice but to listen."

Persephone chuckled and gently bounced Malinoë, who had begun to get a little fussy in her arms. "Well mother, I should get going. It's Malinoë's first time teleporting and I want to make sure there's enough of a time buffer for her to adjust should she disagree with the sensation."

"Alright," Demeter nodded. "And are you sure you don't need me to accompany you?"

"Mother, I appreciate the offer but I am a grown woman with a daughter of my own. Besides, I live on the Isle of the Lost six months out of the year. I know how to handle myself should it come down to it."

"I know that Persephone but it doesn't mean that I don't worry. I'm your mother after all."

Persephone gave Demeter a small smile. "I know mother. Believe me, I don't think I would have made it through the pregnancy without Hades by my side had it not been for you and Lieth."

"I have to say, it's quite strange hearing you call your sister something other than 'Eile'," Demeter said. "I know your reasoning is that it sounds too close to 'Elle' but still."

"I'll admit it's strange to me as well but I'm sure we'll get used to it," Persephone said. "Now mother, we really must be going. We may be Godly but at the same time, it would be rude to be late."

"Of course," Demeter nodded and Persephone left in a swirl of leaves. She wasn't going to lie, she had definitely missed being able to teleport. Not that she would trade the safety of her daughter for anything mind you but having to rely on chariots or cars was so incredibly time consuming.

"Lady Persephone," an attendant said as Persephone walked over to Beast's castle, thankful for her daughter's lack of reaction to the teleporting. The castle was in no way as big as Eric's castle, since he was High King, but it was still fairly imposing.

"Thank you," Persephone said, giving a small nod as she walked through the door. The plan was to stay near the back while the christening was going on and then she'd make her way to the front to say hello to the new Prince.