Chapter 1

A pair of ice blue eyes stared into the depths of the lake, contemplating everything and nothing all at once. His white hair rustled in the wind and he traced idle shapes in the frost.

"Thought I'd find you here," a voice spoke from behind him. The lilting English accent let him know who the speaker was.

Jack hummed in response, turning his head to the sky with a sigh. The world was so calm here, just him and the wind. It made him feel whole for once. It was a shame Pitch had to pollute his peace with reality.

"You can't just run away like that. I was worried about you," Pitch whined, crouching down next to Jack.

Jack scrunched his nose, turning away. The apology was far from satisfactory.

Pitch stroked the side of Jack's face, turning his chin towards him. He pressed a gentle, apologetic kiss upon Jack's pale lips.

"I'm sorry, darling, " Pitch started, his tone solemn.

He paused for a minute, drawing his knees up to his chest and sitting down. Jack felt a calmness tug at his heart. It was moments like these that he actually felt happy. He wished it could be like this between them all the time.

"I just don't understand," Pitch broke in, "I thought you were supposed to love me? I do everything for you ... Everything! And you still don't believe me?"

Pitch huffed heartily and Jack closed his eyes. He knew what was coming. Calmness never lasted long with Pitch. His cheek stung from where Pitch had struck him earlier that morning.

"You know how it makes me feel when you act like that. I can't help it. I just get so angry."

Jack sighed, hearing the rise in Pitch's voice. He knew the drill: let him get most of it out and then step in and apologize like hell.

"It was your fault. Why do you always have to make me the bad guy? We're supposed to be a team, but you won't stop acting like one of them! You know what, Jack? Go be one of them. Screw every single one of them, for all I care. You can't seem to get away from me fast enough."

He paused for a minute and the words sank into the depths of Jack's soul. They had stung more than usual and Jack could feel the tears welling in his eyes.

He knew Pitch was right. He shouldn't have suggested a fun snow day instead of a dark one. He knew how Pitch felt about other people's joy. He shouldn't have brought it up.

"God, why do you do this to me? You stupid piece of shit. You're not worth my goddamn time. All I wanted was someone to love me, but-"

Jack cut him off, hugging him tightly and silencing his tirade. The tears ran freely down his face now and he apologized profusely for his mistake.

"I love you so much. It's all my fault. Please don't leave me." He sniffled pathetically and hugged pitch even closer, "I'll make it up to you, anything you want, just please don't leave."

Pitch was the only thing he had ever known. From the first moment he crawled out of that frozen lake, Pitch was there. He helped Jack to figure out the nuances of being a spirit and how to control his powers. They had always been together. Without Pitch, Jack was nothing.

An empty feeling of dread settled into his stomach as he continued to cry and apologize. Pitch stood stark still in his arms, making Jack feel even worse.

He had done it this time. He was always so stupid with what he said, and now he had driven the only good thing in his life away.

"Please, "Jack let out a strangled cry of desperation.

Pitch finally responded, bringing his hand up to stroke Jack's hair gently. The winter spirit flinched at the contact, anticipating another slap. The pain never came, however, and he quickly melted into the embrace. Pitch smiled at the reaction and directed the young spirit to a nearby shadow, transporting them to their home.