Chapter 17

Chapter Song: Woodland by The Paper Kites

ALEX'S POV

We decided to set up a second camp at Lisa's since it was closest to my house. Given Aly's sudden arrival, the group seemed to have gotten hopeful again at the prospect of reuniting with a relative or a friend. I'm happy that they're able to find hope again. I'm just worried when the time comes that that hope gets shot down. I've had that happen to me too many times and it's always hard getting back up.

We've managed to upgrade our vehicles for ramming purposes and even fixed solar panels onto them so we wouldn't be relying completely on gas. We even have back up cars stocked up with supplies scattered around the path to our second HQ. We were really just outdoing ourselves and coming up with all sorts of ideas. To better prepare ourselves or to keep us busy? I don't know.

Despite the new addition to our team and our many activities, I fear we've come to a stalemate. We're surviving, yes. Fighting off zombies. But for how long? Are we just waiting until we die from old age or being turned? Or is there a cure being developed? The difficult part about all this is not knowing the answer to the most important question. And that's something that can't be answered by knowledge from zombie apocalypse shows. This is reality. So what really happened?

"You're lost in your head again." I feel a hand brush through my hair and rest on my cheek. I lean towards it, savoring the warmth.

"I'm just wondering what's next for us. After setting up our second HQ... visiting all our homes..."

"Looting all the bookshelves..." Riley adds, making me smile a little.

"The radio's been silent." We were able to fix a long range sensor to a radio but so far we've only heard static. We know it works since it picks up our short range so why isn't there...

"Hey, look at me. We'll figure it out. One step at a time, right?" I stare into Riley's eyes, willing myself to believe just like her.

"We've been moving around for months... Why haven't we seen anyone else? Surely we're not the only zombie-fighting wannabes out here. And what about the government? The military? What are they doing? They love presenting themselves as solutions to problems they're not needed in but now that they're actually needed, they're gone." My mind was swirling with questions.

"Maybe we just haven't travelled far enough. That can be our next step. Go to a military camp. Maybe they were able to secure their base and have just been holed up there." Riley says, trying to bring my hopes up.

"Maybe... that would be really shitty of them. I hope they at least have some decent doctors and scientists that they listen to." I feel my mood lightening up a bit.

"Well if they don't then they'll have you, my little scientist." Riley holds my chin and pulls me down for a kiss.

I laugh into it. "I took one virology class. I don't think my degree in Environmental Science is gonna help us."

"You studied the environment. The environment is everywhere. Hence, you've studied everything."

"Wow. Why didn't I think of that? You're so smart. Are you a scientist too? Your deductive reasoning is impeccable."

We grin at each other and the direction our conversation went. I close my eyes then rest my forehead on hers, breathing out a sigh.

"What would I do without you?"

"Probably creating your own castle fort and drowning in books." I smile at how well Riley knows me.