9 | Meeting the Royals

It was noon when Ida Isatari knocked on their door. "The King would like to have an audience with you and your companions."

Gathering a coat and some coin, Jane and her family quickly fell into step behind Ida as the rest of their group was brought along as well. Outside, two carriages awaited them.

"These will take you to the castle. A guard there will take you inside. When you see their highnesses, you are to bow until spoken to. They will ask questions regarding your departure from Rosehaven and your journey here. Accommodations will be made as they see fit." Ida bowed her head. "Safe travels."

This was nerve-wracking. Jane slid into the carriage along with her brother, then her parents squeezed in next. It was a quiet ride. She wanted to say so much, but she couldn't find the strength to say anything. She was going to meet the king. The reality that she'd meet royalty someday had never dared cross her mind in the past. How should she behave? Should she wait until she was spoken to? Did they expect them to bow? How did one curtsy? Jane rubbed sweaty palms against her pants. Ida should have prepared them a little better for what was to come. Surely a soldier of their royal highnesses knew the proper etiquette.

The farther into the city they went, the more pristine and grander the buildings became. The cozy foliage-covered buildings gave way to towering, terracotta roofed buildings with arched windows and tiled floors. Grapevines wound themselves across fences and lampposts. It was one of the most beautiful things she had ever seen. Before them, set on a hill that overlooked the entire city as if a prize set on a pedestal and rising like a beacon of hope, was a blue castle. She didn't know what kind of stone it was built out of, maybe slate, but it was a gem in the midst of the earth-toned city. Towers pierced the sky with their pointed roofs. White banners emblazoned with a golden griffin flapped in the gentle breeze. When Jane thought of castles, she would only ever be able to envision this one. All of her childhood, Jane had dreamed of princesses and princes and conquering dragons. Now, a true castle stood before her, and she was breathless.

Servants opened the carriage doors and courtiers ushered them inside, flanked by the palace soldiers. Looking over her shoulder, she saw their companions getting out of other carriages. They were to all have an audience with the king and queen. Excitement shot through her stomach, and she did everything she could to not squeal.

They walked through the massive hallways, and Jane knew she'd get lost within them if it weren't for their guides. There was an excited buzz among their groups as they whispered about the surrounding grandness of the castle. Jane held her brother's hand tightly as they marched into the throne room. She sucked in a breath, eyes widening as she took in the sight.

The ceilings were hundreds of feet above their head with intricate designs and murals of battles from long ago. Marble pillars as large as tree trunks and floral designs carved into them supported the ceiling from below. Windows at least twenty feet tall let natural light flood the room, illuminating the gold inlaid on the floor, walls, and décor. Floating pottery held natural flora whose vines and branches reached out like seeking fingers, blossoming in the warm sunlight.

Before them, up two flights of marble stairs, were two thrones. Beautiful dark wooden thrones with jewels embedded into their legs and armrests. Seated on these thrones were two humanoids. Jane chose the word humanoids as they were so ethereal in their appearance that she wasn't quite sure if they were real.

The taller of the pair was an elderly Elven man. He sat with perfect posture, chin lifted high as he regarded them down the length of his nose. His skin was pale, almost alabaster in nature, and his eyes were a piercing yellow. The many layers of his silver robes flowed neatly down around his legs and pooled around his feet like a moon bath.