Sixth Year

"How was your summer?" said James cheerfully upon entering their compartment in the Hogwarts express.

"Horrible" said Sirius and Remus together.

"Whoah"

"My mother wants me to become a death eater of course it was bad" said Sirius

"What was if for you moony"

"I got harassed by Sirius' fangirls and ex's almost every single day"

"What?" he said, alarmed.

Yeah. I get hate mail every single day. The muggles who worked for my father were very confused by how all the things magically appeared outside our door. They all went straight to the dustbin but this one maid was very keen to open something and it almost blasted her face off"

"Oh my god Rem I never thought of that" said Sirius looking sad.

"It's not your fault babe. Everybody just wants a part of that black fortune."

"And my hot body and charming personality"

"Of course" she chuckled.

"Did you just call him babe" said James.

"Oh yeah she did, right baby," said Sirius.

"Oh my god stop. Just never call each other that ever again, sounds so--"

"Romantic"

"Coupley"

"Myrrh, I'm going to look for peter. Please keep the kissing to a minimum so you don't scare away the first years before they even set foot on Hogwarts" said James and dashed out of the compartment

"Are you sure your ok Padfoot"

"I-- it was worse than before, yes but I guess I'm used to it now. I missed you so much moony" he said, wrapping his arms around her. She knew that he was not telling the whole truth but she also knew from my five years experience that he needs time to recover. He'll open up slowly along the next couple of weeks and she'll be right here when he does.

"You don't have to put up with it anymore you know, you'll be seventeen by the end of this year and you can stay with me or prongs till then"

"Ya. I know, I'm just, its for Reg that's the only reason I'm putting up with their torture, I thought I could protect him you know but I feel like he's already slipped away into their side but I have to stay, incase there is something I can do, anything to make him see sense again.

"Of course Siri I understand" she said placing a kiss on his head.

"I'm really sorry about the mail and stuff" he whispered.

"Come on don't feel bad about that. Its only going to get worse now that we are in school together"

"But I'll be here to protect you now"

"I don't need your protection Padfoot I'm--"

"Yeah you're a strong woman yada yada. I don't care, your my little mousling and I'm going to take care of you"

"Mousling"

"Ya because you sit with those enormous jumpers of yours covered in twelve blankets with just your nose pointing out like a little mousling"

"Shut up and kiss me you fool,"

And the moment their lips met, James smashed the door open "did I tell you to not snog"

"You're the worst Prongs," Sirius said, hiding his face in her neck.

"Morning lads, still going strong I see" said peter entering behind James.

"Of Course wormy, how was your vacation" she asked.

"Good, I did nothing but laze around all day"

"My father wants to get married" she said

"What"

"Yeah, he met this woman from America, she's a widow too."

"What do you think about that moony"

"I don't know, she seems kind, I met her last week. She makes my father happy though, I can see it in his eyes, he never fell in love after my mother so I'm glad for him"

"That's great"

"yeah"

------------

The rest of sixth year was awesome and horrible at the same time. The news about the dark lord rising was getting bigger and bigger. Hogwarts remained unaffected but it felt like everyone needed to pick a side in the war. And it genuinely shocked Remus to see how many people actually believed in blood purity and all that nonsense.

The marauders who used to be renowned as pranksters were now focused on protecting the lower years from the Slytherins whose arrogance was off the charts and some of them were already associated with the dark lord.

One of the best things to come out of this was lily, she had stopped responding to Snivellous's advances and began warming up to James. James was every time lily didn't sneer at the sight of him.

She even personally apologized to Remus for all the things they had put her through in first year, Remus didn't care about any of that anymore but an apology was welcome anyway.

And then, for the Christmas break, Sirius was personally invited by his brother to attend go home for the holiday and Sirius had accepted, not being able to deny his brother.

Remus was spending Christmas with her father, her last Christmas at home before her father shifted to America with his wife and Remus tried to not feel very sad about it, she was a witch afterall, she could visit him anytime she wanted. Remus was afraid in the beginning that the woman might be a gold digger after her fathers money but that doubt was squashed when Estelle insisted that all her father's money be given to Remus because she had plenty of her own money. Remus did not care about her inheritance, she just wanted him to be happy. So here she was, in her childhood home, with her stop mother and two step brothers. And it felt almost like a real family, their big house had always felt empty before this.

Remus had tried to keep in contact with Sirius throughout the week but did not get any replies from him. James had had no luck either, it had been one week since she last saw him back at the train station and she was beginning to get worried.

And then, on twenty seventh night, at 9 pm, they heard a feeble knock on the door, one of the servants opened the door to find a bruised, battered and sobbing Sirius black outside, managing to whisper her name before passing out.

Remus then held a sobbing Sirius in her arms in her room as he cried about how he was too late and that Regulus already had the dark mark, Remus felt sick.

She tended to his wound with some antiseptic and Band-Aids, not having any potions with her. She was glad that her father let him stay without a word, he knew Sirius was her best friend but he hadn't know about his house situation.

James Potter arrived early the next morning, with proper portions for Sirius's injuries, and with two of them fussing about, Sirius was healthy and on his feet again but dinner. His mental health though was another thing, but they both knew that Sirius would need some time to open up about it, right now, his cheerful, bright flirty self was out again, charming the pants off everyone, including all the servants.