Chapter 6: Her lessons

Day 28,901

Lilea runs through the hallways, her heart beating fast, the sunlight making squares on the floor through the large openings in the walls. She sinks into the spiral stairs, going down the steps four by four, grabbing hard the handrail at the bottom to make a ninety-degree turn. She continues at the same pace down another hallway, ignoring the Guards looking at her strangely, the Elves rolling their eyes, and random Elhurians' surprised faces. She takes another turn, races down the large stairs to the ground floor and rushes outside, where the sun makes her hair sparkle. She continues her way through the green grass and finally enters the training room, out of breath. The room is as large as a football field, high ceilings but no windows. The roof is made of glass that lets the sunlight come in and makes the entire space very bright.

"Late again, Princess." Says Uderz. The Druid is seated on the floor, his legs in lotus position, eyes closed, his long grey beard still in a large knot in the middle folded nicely between his legs.

"I'm sorry." tries to say Lilea but her scattered breath makes her incomprehensible.

"You are seventy-nine, Princess, you have to stop being late to every lesson."

Lilea waves her hand at that comment, still trying to catch her breath. She sits directly on the floor in the same position as her mentor. However, movements in the back of the room attract her gaze.

Royal Guards are training. They're all wearing light fabric shirts tucked at the waist with a belt, and tights. The colors go from white to dark brown and gray. Their weapons reflect the sunshine and make small bolts of lighting come and go throughout the room. But Lilea notices just one of them.

"Now that you're here, let's start the training." The Druid stands up and faces her, unfolding one of his bracelets into a sword.

Lilea winces and stands up. She grabs her ring and it unfolds into a thin golden sword. She glances once more at the Royal Guards.

"Hold yourself straight Princess, you're Royal blood."

She doesn't hear him. Uderz rolls his eyes and hits her on the leg with his weapon. It cuts a small slit in her dress.

"Ouch!"

"Focus, Princess!"

"I am!"

"If you were, you would have avoided that hit."

Lilea charges, striking at Uderz's leg, but he avoids her with agility.

"Now that you are, let's do a few passes to warm up."

Uderz comes in and goes for her shoulder. She blocks the hit and bends her knees before hitting his hip. Uderz doesn't flinch, and turns the sword around gracefully. Blood starts to stain his clothes. He pays no attention to it and continues to exchange passes with the Princess.

After half an hour, they both start to do more flips and other acrobatic feats. Their blades and their clothes have spots of blood from hits. Neither of them seem to notice or even to worry about that. From afar, they look like birds fighting, their dresses flying in the air with each trick, their swords ringing loudly together, sweat starting to cover their skin. The training lasts two hours without any break.

They do one last pass and Uderz raises his hand. Lilea nods and taps her sword on her hand, and it rolls around her finger. She is out-of-breath, but focused. Cuts can be seen all over her body, the same for the Druid. Blood splatters the floor under their feet.

"Good job today, Princess."

"Thank you Uderz. I learned some new things." She bends forwards and grabs a leather string wrapped around her ankle.