Chapter 7: Her non-date

Day 6,195

A big white sign displays "Alec Spell" in wide black letters. It's a white and red building that looks like a doll house, very cheesy. A small crowd waits patiently in the front for the ushers to verify their tickets. Jason and Abby walk towards it.

"Did you think about what kind of questions you're going to ask him?"

"No, not really."

"Maybe don't start with 'I have D.I.D. and my alter thinks she is a magical princess' you know?" grins Jason.

Abby hits him in the ribs with her elbow.

"Ouch! Lilea, stop hitting me!"

"It wasn't her." says Abby, sticking her tongue out.

They stand at the end of the line, taking a few steps closer to the entrance every time people go in. Jason pushes his hands down his pockets.

"I'm surprised your father didn't argue more about taking us here." he says.

"He knows that I'm growing up."

"He's not as overprotective as your mother, is he?"

"Not really. And he likes you. She still has doubts about you." Abby chuckles.

"What did your mom say about your outfit?" asks the teenage boy.

"That it was cute for a date."

Jason's face turns red. Abby laughs.

"I'm kidding! She said it was cute."

"She stopped there?"

"Yes." says Abby.

Jason avoids her gaze and she smiles.

You're making the boy very uncomfortable.

Abby laughs to Lilea's comment.

"What's funny?"

"Nothing, Lilea is silly."

"Right..." mumbles Jason.

Abby opens her mouth to reply but a violent pain shoots through her brain. She closes her eyes in pain and grabs Jason's arm. For a second, the image of Kizlo's face appears under her lids. His orange skin shines under his heavy black helmet. As an immediate reaction, a white light appears and makes him disappear.

Abby slowly opens her eyes and finds herself gripped onto Jason's arm as if her life depends on it. He looks at her, worried.

"Are you okay?"

She blinks a few times.

"I... I don't know."

"Tickets?" The usherette is looking at them, an electronic device in her hand.

Jason shows his phone and she scans the codes on it.

"It's going to be the stairs on your right, second door."

"Thank you." Jason passes his arm around Abby's waist and leads her up the stairs while she glances anxiously around her.

The venue is large, able to hold around three hundred people. The chairs are in black velvet and give a comfortable vibe. The space smells a little dusty mixed with the typical scent of an old A/C that has been running for way too long. The floor is covered with carpet that muffles the sounds of the ladies' heels.

Their seats are on the third raw facing the stage. They both sit down at the same time, Abby still looking around her nervously.

"What just happened?" whispers Jason.