CHAPTER 5 - TEZIN

The last few hours have been a mind-numbing blur. I'm out of tears left to cry. Everything inside of me is so empty, so numb, and yet so alight with a nauseating rage I haven't felt since Papa died. It took so long to recover from that pit of grief and darkness I fell into after that. Raven got me through most of it. And now...now she's gone.

I can't stop reliving last night. How that pirate took her, and I did nothing. I did nothing to help my little sister. And now she will pay for my cowardice with her life. If that happens, I won't be able to forgive myself. So I have to go after her. I can't—won't lose her.

Shoving the last of the bread in my pack, I lift the overstuffed bag on my shoulders and head into Mama's room. Leaving her in this state weighs heavy on my heart.

"C'mon Mama," I say, tugging her into a sitting position. "You have to stay with Elder Agbaa. She'll keep you safe when I'm gone."

Mama's eyes shift from glassy to concerned. If I had the time, I'd rejoice about the flicker of emotion. "Hm?"

"Elder Agbaa," I repeat, smiling softly, hoping it will comfort her. "Remember? She lives a few huts down."

Mama shakes her head slowly.

I sigh. "Well you have to stay with her. I'm going after Raven. It's a long story Mama, but I promise I will bring her back. I will not fail her."

Mama doesn't respond. But for the first time since Papa died, a fighting willpower brings light to her eyes.

I pull the quilt off of her. "Come, Mama."

It's a painstakingly slow process, but I finally manage to get her legs over the edge of the bed. I lift her arm and put it around my shoulders, leading her step by step out of the room. When we reach the kitchen, a boom shakes the hut. Screams follow, piercing my ears. Acrid scents waft from the windows. Is that...smoke? Gently, I set Mama down on one of the rickety wooden chairs, trying desperately to hide the shaking of my hands.

I kiss her on the forehead. "I'll be right back, okay?"

Mama's lips twitch in a smile. I offer a feeble one in return before I slip outside my home.

Chaos greets me. The shock of it chokes me. Flames lick every roof, every lantern post, every fish barrel. Thick black smoke billows into the sky, obscuring the pink and gold rays of the rising sun. Ash floats through the air, drifting onto my hair, staining the faces of terrified children running past. I cough. My eyes sting. I've never seen a fire so monstrous, so terrible. Especially not here.

Wildly, I look around, searching for what could have possibly caused this. In the distance, out on the horizon, I catch the silhouette of the largest ship I've ever laid eyes on. And it's not the first time I've seen it.

I swallow over the lump in my throat. "Oh gods."

The Dividers. They're here. For some gods-forsaken reason, they are back here. I turn on my heel and re-enter my home. Mama is on her feet, staring at me with fire in her eyes. Maybe she knows they're here, the people that killed Papa.

I sling my overstuffed pack over my shoulder and grab Mama's hand. "We have to go. Now, before—"

Another boom rumbles across the ground. The house shudders. I stumble. Screams are silenced before they're finished. My heart hammers in my chest, pounding so hard I fear it may break my ribs. I swallow back my panic and head for the door with Mama in tow.

The curtain moves before I can reach it. I freeze. A towering man ducks through the doorframe, one massive hand planted firmly on his black hat. I remember his gruff, bearded face, his dark beady eyes, the thick scar crossing his face. My limbs won't respond. All I can do is grip tighter to Mama's hand. My gaze strays to the bloodstained broadsword hanging at his side, the menacing array of knives and daggers.

"You," he growls, his voice like sandpaper grating against my ears. "My scouts tell me the captain of the Anviora stopped by last night. Tell me where she is now."

I try to take a step back, but Mama isn't budging. When I don't respond, the man pulls his sword from his belt and rests the tip of it on my collarbone. It's so cold against my skin it's like it's burning.

"If you value your life you'll tell me exactly where Rélia Ryan has gone."

"I-I don't, I don't know who that is, but I was going to—"

Before I can finish, the sword is through my shoulder and out again. I cry out and press my hand to the wound. Crimson flows over my fingers in a steady stream.

"Then I have no use for you," he grunts.

The point of his blade turns to Mama.

"No," I whisper, throat growing tight. "Don't. Please, you'll..." I'm grasping at straws here. How do you beg mercy of a merciless monster? "You'll regret killing us, please you've already taken enough."

"I ain't ever regretted anything," the man replies, wrapping a calloused hand around my throat and yanking me into the air. My toes barely scrape the floor. I cough, lungs burning. Trying desperately to escape his grasp, I clamp both hands around the man's wrist, pulling. He doesn't pay me any attention.

My vision blurs as the air stops flowing. Now I can hardly feel the stab wound.

"Look at that," the man chuckles, releasing his grip on me. I crumple to a heap on the ground. "I may have some use of ya after all."

I rub my throat with my bloody fingers. He's staring intently at my shoulder. When I look at it, I understand the greedy glint in his eyes. Traces of black mingle with the crimson blood caking my shirt. It's faint, but undeniable. And completely impossible. I don't have magic. I can't be a Nightblood.

Of course, he doesn't know that. In the eyes of the pirate, all to be seen is a potential pouch of gold.

I scramble to my feet, trying not to cry from the pain. I open my mouth to tell him I won't let him take me, but the man already has his sword plunged through Mama's heart. Time stops. Shock silences the screams in my throat. I can't breathe. I can't think. I'm helpless as she falls to the ground with a thump, her eyes wide and lifeless, her gele askew, the bodice of her dress soaked with blood.

"Mama!" I cry, rushing to her side. Tears stream down my face. I press my hands to her wound, desperate to stop the bleeding even though I know she's already gone.

"Captain Navda!" A lanky man enters my home, sooty and bloody, smiling. It doesn't reach his eyes. For a moment, we hold a stare. Menacing whispers fill my mind, overshadowing pleas for help. He tilts his head, inquisitive gaze roving up and down my body. The moment passes and he turns his attention to his captain. "We are ready for departure. No one could get information from the locals."

"Obliged, Ean. On your way."

Ean nods and ducks out the door. Navda grabs me by my wounded arm, yanking me to my feet. I fight against him, eyes glued to Mama, wanting to grab her hand, glimpse life in her again. Her death was close, but not like this. Never like this.

"No!" I scream. "Mama! No!"

Feebly, I throw a punch at Navda's brutish face, but he's unfazed. I can't fight him. I can't get to Mama. I can't stop his crew as they toss a smoking pouch into my kitchen. I can't do anything as my town, my family, everything I've ever known goes up in flames.