03

The energy in the room is volatile. On the outside, I'm as cold as ice. It's a trick I learned when I needed it most.

Never let anyone know what's going on in your head.

Never let anyone know your next move.

On the outside, Valen is in control. On the inside though, my heart is assaulting the inside of my chest. Beating faster than my thoughts are racing.

"Vincent." is all I can think of to say. My mind is swimming with memories of matching pajamas and shared rooms. Other than that, all I remember is who he is. Or was, I guess. I didn't miss him. How could I? I don't even know him anymore.

"The prodigal daughter returns." Is all the response I get. I study him. 6 years have passed since I've seen him and he looks like a completely different person. Yet, the same. Although the joy and youthfulness has vanished from the face I used to adore. My best friend was now unrecognizable.

I'm sure he can say the same.

A lot can happen in 6 years.

He stares back, fury in his expression. My father watches the interaction.

"Look at this, our family. Whole once again." He remarks, a smile on his face. Pride is evident in his face. I can't believe he would ambush me like this. This is too much. How could he expect for everything to just snap back to how it was? For me to just fall into the space I deserted when I left?

No not left.
Escaped.

Vincent scoffs.

"We're not a goddamn family." He shoots back "She left us." He looks away, disinterested. And It sets me off.

"If I'm not mistaken, you fucking left too." I snap. He looks at me in surprise, ready to fight back with another cruel remark.

"Language. Both of you." My dad growls, scolding the two of us.

I back down, leaning against the back of my chair. The tone of his voice is bone chilling. Arms crossed, I scoff and look away.

I didn't expect things to be easy when I came back. Hell, they weren't even easy before I left. My mother was suffocating. And my father was strangling her with a love so strong he would to anything for the promise of never having to live without her.

But did they have to be this difficult? He doesn't have to jump for joy at the thought of a reunited family, trust me I'm not either. But the least he could do is have some respect for the way he speaks to people.

"I understand this is a big change Vincent, but it's reality. Valen is family whether you like it or not. Her return is to be celebrated." He grins, and I can't tell if it's forced or not. "and you both will do well to remember that you are Piersons and will behave as such. Especially in the public eye."

I look around notice the glances from others in the restaurant, and I immediately regret my outburst. I don't like drawing attention.

"Now, the reason I have brought you both here tonight is to discuss some expectations." My dad begins, folding his hands in front of him.

I sit up, my attention on what just came out of his mouth.

Expectations?

"Valen, as part of this family, this business," He stresses the following. "You have an image to protect. The media will be watching you constantly. And as you continue to be more involved in the business, and will one day when I'm gone have to carry on it's legacy, there is a lot riding on your behavior. And Vincent, the image of our family must be preserved. I am very disappointed in the way you've treated Valen tonight. Make yourself damn sure it won't happen again. You both will do well to heed these expectations, hmm." He finishes, sternly.