Turn 7 | Calm before the Data Storm

Turn 7 | Calm Before the Data Storm

"C'mon please, please fit!"

The bulky duel disk just can't fit in your bag, no matter how you arrange the bag's contents. You're going to run late if you don't take off on your bike soon.

Luna deadpans at your futile efforts. "Just wear it on your wrist, like everyone else."

"Wear it?" You cringe. "Why are you so insistent on coming to school with me, anyways? It's not like I'm going to learn anything about Hanoi there."

"I refuse to stay locked up in your house for that long."

"Fair enough, I guess." At least you can keep an eye on the program. With furrowed eyebrows, you turn the duel disk one more time in your gloved hands.

"Oh!" You click open the duel disk's bracelet part and close it over the strap of your school bag, making sure to tighten the bracelet so the disk is secure. "Now I don't have to wear it. You ready?"

"Finally. Yes, let's go." Luna has taken on a different form in the duel disk right now. She kind of looks like an eye - her light blue iris is surrounded by gold lines. Luna's singular eye blinks.

After you slip off your gloves, you shift the headphones around your neck and get on your bike.

At school, you slightly bob your head to the rhythm of the music playing in your headphones while you scan the crowd.

"What are we waiting for?" Luna stirs.

"I'm looking for my friend, Shima."

"What's his full name?"

"Naoki Shima. Why?"

"Naoki Shima... hmm..." Luna scans the school courtyard. "He's right over there, northeast of you."

You look in the direction Luna references, and sure enough, Shima's there, walking closer to you. It doesn't seem like he's seen you yet.

"Combining the data of his features, I classify him as subpar in appearance."

Aghast, your face scrunches in offense for Shima. "Luna! That is so rude! You can't just judge someone like that." Luna rolls her eye. "How did you even know it was him?"

"It's not hard to access the school's public record of students. The public record includes a picture of each student in uniform."

"Wow." The fact that she can access so much information in a few seconds makes you even more uncomfortable with her presence. By the time you look up from your bag, Shima is significantly closer. "Hey Shima!" You broadly wave to catch his attention.

"Hey Roka!" He jogs the rest of the way to you. He immediately notices the dangling duel disk. "Oi, you have a duel disk?!"

"Haha, yeah..." Please don't ask why, please don't ask why--

"I bet you finally got one 'cause of Duel Club!"

"Ah... Yes! Yes, totally!" Thank you for the excuse!

"I knew it! So when are you going into Link VRAINS?" He leans in closer and you can see sparkles in his eyes.

You gently push him out of your space. "I don't think I'll actually head there anytime soon."

He visibly sinks in disappointment. "That's too bad."

You're almost done packing up in your last class of the day.

"Roka, you have to come to Den Plaza today!"

"Why, what's happening there?" You rack your brain for any events, but remember none.