two.

artis opus.
ii. the debut of lady whistledown.

–— 𝓐FTER the presentation for the Queen, the Nightingale's returned to their home

–— 𝓐FTER the presentation for the Queen, the Nightingale's returned to their home. Upon entering, Catherine rushed to her room, followed by her sisters and mother.

"That was horrendous," Catherine whined as the maids assisted in undressing her. "I shouldn't have hastened my steps."

"There's no pleasing you, dear sister," Cecelia stated as she took a seat on Catherine's bed. "The queen said you were remarkable."

"Remarkable isn't flawless. It is no good. I must correct my mistakes at Lady Danbury's ball."

"You mustn't be so hard on yourself, dear," Esther said, pulling her daughter into a hug. "You did very well."

"And at least you didn't have the same experience as the Featheringtons," Christiana giggled as she mentally recalled the events. "Prudence fainted before the Queen!"

Esther turned to her youngest daughter. "Christiana, it is impolite to laugh at the expense of others."

"Oh, come on, Mama," Cecelia intervened. "You must admit that the previous events were quite comical."

Esther shook her head as she did her best to conceal her own laughter. Once Catherine was changed into her day gown, the four of them travelled down the steps and into the common room.

There, one of their servants approached Esther with an unfamiliar sheet placed on a silver tray. The countess she picked up the pamphlet and unfolded it's contents.

"Lady Whistledown?"

Cecelia furrowed her eyebrows. "Who?"

Esther's jaw dropped as she read the sheet.

"Oh, my."

"What is it, Mama?" Catherine inquired as she grabbed sheet from her mother's grasp. "A scandal sheet?"

"What does it say?" Christiana questioned.

"She speaks mostly of the Bridgertons," Catherine relayed. "Ah, wait, she speaks of us as well."

"Go on, read it!" Cecelia exclaimed, urging her to finally reveal what was written about them.

"She believes our family to be unusual due to the encouragement for us to advance in our studies. She even mentions Cecelia's delayed season so that she could pursue an apprenticeship."

Esther scoffed. "There is nothing wrong in raising our daughters as intellectuals like we do our sons."

"Fret not, Mama. She commends you and Papa for it," Catherine unveiled, showing the sheet to her mother. "And although I didn't receive as much praise as Daphne, Lady Whistledown believes me to be the only other debutante capable of being her rival."