four.

artis opus.
iv. a wager on love and destiny.

–— ❝ 𝓐H, Cecelia," Edward greeted, looking up from his newspaper, "how was painting by the park?"

–— 𝓐H, Cecelia," Edward greeted, looking up from his newspaper, "how was painting by the park?"

     Cecelia huffed in annoyance as she recalled the events that had transpired. "Horrendous."

     "Oh? Why's that?"

     "Your good friend, Mister Bridgerton, decided to vex me," Cecelia said, plopping onto the ottoman next to him. "He attempted to apologise and was angered when I laughed at his insincerity."

     Ewan furrowed his eyebrows together. "Mama says that you should always accept one's apology, even if it's just for face. That you should always take the high road."

     "Well, Mama's wrong," Cecelia replied, crossing her arms.

     "But, Mama is never wrong," Ewan argued. "Perhaps you are being notoriously picksome."

     Cecelia arched a brow, smirking at her younger brother's vocabulary. "You, young sir, have been around Ernest for far too long. Therefore, I know well that you have no clue of what you speak of."

     "I beg to differ," Ernest said, entering the drawing room. "He is influenced by the most knowledgeable Nightingale of all."

     "Quit feeding him Canterbury Tales," Cecelia jabbed, causing Ernest to raise an eyebrow out of amusement.

     "Why are you so miffed, dearest sister?"

     "It seems to be the doing of Benedict," Edward smirked, remaining his gaze on his newspaper. "I believe he attempted to make amends, but our stubborn Cecelia made matters worse."

     Cecelia scoffed. "How was I the one to make matters worse? He only apologised because he couldn't bear my attitude any longer."

     "I don't blame him," Ernest spoke. "You are rather annoying."

Cecelia shot a glare at Ernest, provoking him to withdraw from any further arguments.

"Has the thought of just dropping this childish rivalry every crossed that mind of yours?" Edward questioned, facing his sister. "Or must you feel the need to prove a point?"

Cecelia scoffed. "Of course you are one to speak of such matters. You are a man after all. Suppose you should demand for me to apologise to Benedict, and I shall follow blindly because I am merely a woman."

"Now, you know I am not one to tell a woman what to do," Edward reminded, attempting to deescalate the tension. "I just wish for you to focus on your art rather than your conflict with Benedict, that's all."

Before Cecelia could formulate a response, Catherine walked down the steps, her face brightening immediately.

"Ah, Cecelia, perfect! You must accompany me to the markets. I am in need of a few things."