**✿❀ Chapter One ❀✿**

*Takes place before Conny's shipment.
__________

Perfect.

The weather was absolutely perfect.

The trees gently swayed on this April day, and the sound of my sibling's laughter and excitement rang throughout the yard. My back itched from being brushed and laid against the withered tree trunk and my legs felt prickly from the grass below. I tilted my head upwards, gazing through the branches and leaves to see the sky. Clouds gently swayed and danced with each other and merged with one another. Suddenly, I heard grass being stepped on and footsteps coming closer. I lowered my head, and smiled brightly at my younger sibling, Phil. His tan skin shined brightly in the sunlight along with his eyes, his beautiful blue iris' gazed excitingly at my e/c eyes.

"Y/n! Come play with us!" Phil said excitedly as he slightly jumped up and down. I smiled, before bringing my hand up from the notebook I had in my lap and placed it upon his head, ruffling his dark brown hair.

"Oh Phil, you know I don't care for those types of games." I smiled and sighed gently.

"But you're the fastest and most flexible person here!" Phil argued and began to pout.

"Tell you what, how about you participate in my place and I'll watch and cheer you on." I said gently as I pulled my hand away from his head. He thought for a bit, before nodding cheerfully.

"Okay!" Phil said and began to run out into the field. With his back faced to me, I sighed and slumped further against the tree trunk. I flipped open my notebook and looked intently through the pages for a specific one. Once I flipped to it, I secured the page underneath my left thumb and pulled a pen out from the binder and began to write more content on the page.

"Wow, did you seriously just lie to him like that? Talk about cruel, Y/n." I could practically hear the smirk in his voice. I turned my head to the left, puffing a breathe of air out to move my h/c hair away from my face. I gazed from his black hair to his dark green eyes, well, at least the one that was showing. He smiled at me, then took a seat next to me, pulling out a book from under his arm. Our thighs were brushed against each other along with our shoulders, sending a shock of warmth through my body.

"Oh come on, Ray. You're the only one out of everyone here that understands my hobbies and ways of thinking. I hardly need a lecture." I smirked and turned my attention back to my notebook and twirled the pen in my hand. He let out a laugh and slumped an arm around my shoulder, looking down at the contents of the paper in my lap.

"Working on another song again? I can hardly believe you compose your own music. When mama brought the piano, I just expected you to play something... Stupid." Ray said, but before he could get a good look at the paper, I shut the book.

"You mean the piano 'you' brought." I looked at him and smirked once more, knowing I hit a soft spot. His face went red, and he immediately removed his arm from my shoulders.

"Quiet..."

I laughed a bit and smiled at the memory of 4 years ago. Ray and I were 7 at the time, and he had caught me reading a book about music. The books were mostly about pianos and how to write songs, but the day he walked in on me tapping my fingers against a piece of paper with piano keys drawn on, the next day, a piano suddenly appeared in Grace Field. The first time I had touched the piano, I didn't know that he was listening, and he immediately brought everyone in the house to listen to me. Everyone loved it so much that since then, on the night that one of our siblings gets adopted, I write and play a song for them.

Ray and I have always been close. We both loved to tease Norman and Emma, and we both loved books. If one of us couldn't sleep, we would get the other and walk around the library and gaze out at the night sky. We usually fell asleep together on the library floor, but none of us minded. Despite our bodies aching the next morning from sleeping on a hard floor, we always fell asleep in each others arms. After all, it's where I felt the safest.