Chapter Twenty-Five: Never Had a Chance

Grace was quite certain that she was not engaged now. James had followed her home in the curricle and then left without a word as soon as she was through the front door. Her mother had been waiting for her, tearful and anxious. All throughout dinner, she had been unable to stop exclaiming what a long walk Grace must have had, while Uncle Bernard teased Grace about her escort home. He had seen James through the window and got the wrong idea.

The next morning, Mr Redwood was as good as his word and called at eight o'clock, when Mrs Follet was barely dressed and Uncle Bernard barely awake. He took them both into the study and shut the door. The door remained shut for a long time. Even when breakfast was laid and ready, the door did not open. After breakfast, Grace, Emma, and Alice sat on the stairs, listening to the murmur of indecipherable voices from within.

"What do you think they're talking about?" Alice asked in a hushed whisper.

"Kent," Grace said. "I asked Mr Redwood for his help about Kent."

Emma gave a long sigh. "It's so nice to have a man on our side. Or men, I suppose, since you've got James."

Grace rubbed her throat, where a lump was forming. "I don't. We're not engaged."

Alice snorted. "How long are you going to keep him hanging, Grace? It's cruel."

"I'm not keeping him hanging. Last night he—" Her voice caught. "He made clear what he thinks of me."

Alice looked surprised and Emma looked pitying. Grace turned away from them both.

"Well," Emma said after a while. "I'm sorry."

There was nothing else to be said, not even from Alice. As the hall clock struck eleven, the study door opened and Mr Redwood came out, Mrs Follet and Uncle Bernard behind him. Uncle Bernard looked like he had eaten something very bad but still had to compliment his hostess on her meal. The vertical line was gone from between Mrs Follet's brows.

"You won't stay for breakfast, Mr Redwood?" she said. "I know it's late, but I'm sure Cook could fry some quick eggs."

"Thank you, but I'll be on my way. I've stayed longer than I intended." He saw the girls on the stairs and bowed to them. "Good day, Mrs Follet. Remember, my door is always open."

He hobbled out, leaning heavily on his stick.

Uncle Bernard cleared his throat. "I've got to get to the office," he said. "I think I'll stay in London tonight. Don't expect me back."

"Tomorrow then," Mrs Follet said.

"Or perhaps the day after." Uncle Bernard looked embarrassed. "I'm off then. Bye, Nell."

He left without even mentioning the breakfast he had missed, which was very unusual for Uncle Bernard. The girls came down the stairs and crowded expectantly around Mrs Follet. She smiled at them.

"Do you know, I'm hungry. Did you eat breakfast? Is there anything left?"

There wasn't, but Emma went to arrange for a plate and some coffee to be brought up while Alice and Grace questioned Mrs Follet.

"What is to happen about Kent?" Grace demanded.

"Oh, we're not going to Kent." Mrs Follet shook her head. "We're not to leave Richmond. Mr Redwood had quite a lot to say about that. We're to stay here and lease the house from Uncle Bernard at a very good rate until you are all married." Her two front teeth appeared in what might have been a grin. "It is in writing."

Grace was so relieved she had to sit down. "And Uncle Bernard won't live here?"

"Not at all. He is only to return to take his things away. Mr Redwood pointed out that it was not really fair to crowd us in our mourning. And he said that Aunt Mary could not be happy with her husband so absent."