Picking Up the Pieces

Two months later George has done all the rehab and is now leaving the hospital. He was psyched to go back home and ride his BMX again. After arriving home George hopped onto his bike and started riding he wasn't as skilled and used to the bike yet, so he practiced everyday doing stunt after stunt to get it right for the national BMX comp. One afternoon his phone rang.

'Hello, really? No way? Awesome, see you Saturday, thank you so much, bye. Muuuuuuum!' screamed George. 'You won't believe it,' George screamed in surprise. 'I'm going onto the Today show,'

'No way? When?' said mum almost not believing it.

'This Saturday, they want to hear my story how I broke my spine and now riding my BMX going to nationals,' said George with his eyes twinkly and wide.

'Hello everybody and we're back on the Today show, we've got a very special story about a boy named George Cogens who broke is spine two month ago, and is now riding his BMX again hoping to get into nationals. So George, how did you get into BMX riding?' asked Georgie Gardner.

'Well I got my BMX for Christmas I was jumping and screaming thanking my mum and dad over and over again. The next day I went to the skate park, I did my first trick my dad said that I was natural so I started doing the competitions and here I am,' explained George with confidence.

'Wow, and how did you recover in such an impossible time?' Deborah Knight said in fascination.

'On the night I had the accident I set myself a goal to be better before the national trials. You need to have a growth mindset if you want to achieve your goals,' answered George confidently. 'Now I know you love Will Smith and he is your favourite artist, what's your favourite song by him?' Deborah asked.

'I love Boom! Shake the room.'

'Well thank you so much George for being here today and good luck on the national trial,' concluded Georgie Gardner.

Today is the national trial and George has mixed feelings. He's thinking what if I hurt myself again, but then he reminds himself if he has a good mindset he can achieve anything. George took a deep breath and started visioning himself winning the national trials, holing the golden trophy.

'Good luck honey!' called to George giving him a thumbs up. 'Thanks Mum,' called back George.

'Hello everybody we've got ten extraordinary BMX riders that will blow your mind! But only three can get into the team! Is everybody ready?' yelled the commentator.

'Yeah!' roared the crowd.

'First is Chad Brad Bradly! This is his third year winning the national trial!' said the commentator with confidence he was going to win. 'What's he going to do? He's done a superman backflip! How did he do that? That's awesome!! That's going to be tough to beat!' the commentator yelled 'How is George going to get a perfect score?' George's mum whispered to herself. 'And our last but definitely not least, George Cogens! George has recently had a terrible accident breaking his spine. It's a miracle he's alive and riding again!' the commentator.

'Go George!' chanted the crowd. 'He raced up the side ramp, through the pipe skidded down the hill and finally going the speed of light up the mega ramp. He's done it a suicide no-hander to barspin backflip! That's incredible!' yelled the commentator in absolute surprise.

'Woo hoo! Go George!' cheered George's mum.