Think before you speak

Stede handed Oluwande and Jim a whiskey and settled into his chair with a satisfied smile, "This is the life, is it not, gentlemen?" He mused, dragging his eyes across the bustling saloon where men drank and laughed with soft piano in the background. Jim, a man of few words, simply nodded and sipped their drink but Oluwande was distracted, glancing at another table.
"Don't you think they've been staring for a while?" Olu stated.
Stede followed the man's gaze and politely waved at the table of rugged men before a kick to the shin from Jim had him dropping his hand, "What? They seem nice. Maybe they can appreciate a well dressed man," He gestured to his distinguished attire which was far more lavishly decorated than most gunslingers.
"I don't have a good feeling about this. Let's just leave," His travelling companions downed the rest of their glass and flanked him as they left, readying their horses when cold metal at the back of his neck made him freeze.
Stede turned slowly with his hands up to face the men from the saloon; the armed one a man with greying hair and a groomed beard, two muscled, foreboding men standing either side.
"Hand over anything of value," his assailant hoarsely demanded.
"Ah uh.. No, I don't think I will."
"No? Are you fucking simple?" He hissed, swiping the flashy bolo tie from Stede's neck, "look at this fellas, what you reckon? Gold?" Biting down on it and earning a look of horror from his victim.
"I'll have you know that's a family heirloom!" He retorted, making a move to snatch his belongings back but was prodded back against his horse by the gun. Jim appeared next to him with a hand on their gun but he signalled for them to stand down with a knowing wink.
"Look gentlemen, I would love to give that over but..." Stede began, his hands behind him as he made quick work of the saddle bags buckle before swinging it into the head of his mugger. The force caused him to drop the gun which fired off and hit one of the larger men in the foot. In a few seconds chaos had ensued and bystanders were drifting into the street, attracted by the gunfire. He reached out to pick up the bolo tie but it was plucked from his fingertips once more by the man he struck, who was now darting to his horse and hastily galloping away.
Stede cursed and chased after him on his own horse, his companions left standing in the kicked up dust.

The two cowboys raced at high speeds down tracks illuminated by hazy moonlight before one ducked into a nearby crop of trees and despite the risk, Stede followed after him. He screeched to a halt when the other did and dismounted with his gun drawn at the thief.
"I really wish to not do this but you have left me no choice. Hand over what is mine, now," Insisted Stede.
A grating laugh erupted from the man, "you really must be thick. Don't you know you're in my land now? Before you even press that trigger, you'd be a dead man."
He looked beyond the man and just like he said, the outline of tents near them were visible in the dim light.
"Well thankfully it's dark at the moment. I'll have shot you and escaped before anyone could catch me."
"Then do it," The man taunted.
Stede had to think quick, he had never killed a man before nor did he want to but he doubted he could simply walk away now he's in so deep. A new gruff voice broke the tense stand off as they both snapped to look to the figure holding a lantern.
"Izzy, what the hell are you doing? Are you drunk again?" The stranger then brought his attention to Stede and his stomach dropped, the unwavering authority they commanded felt even at this distance, "don't tell me you were followed. Who are you?"

Stede pointed his gun to the stranger and attempted to feign confidence, "Who I am is not of your concern! This man stole a belonging of mine and I'm simply here to retrieve it and after that we can go on with our nights" he stated, hoping they didn't catch the quiver in his voice.
"Ah, pay him no mind. He is a dimwit who had the audacity to say no when he was being robbed and then followed me here to get back his small trinket," the thief reassured before sneering at Stede, "Stop waving that pistol around. My boss is Edward Teach and he has killed men for far less."

"Edward Teach, hm? Must not be that much of a big deal if his men have to hide behind his name like cowards. You know what, I bet he's a coward himself. At least I make a name for myself instead of hiding behind one," Stede regretted the words as soon as they left his dry mouth. What was he doing? He always had been a nervous talker and now they will surely kill him, the one he assumed was Izzy sure looked murderous now.
The man holding the lantern broke the silence with a hearty laugh, "Izzy, go to bed. You there, I want to talk to you. Join me in my tent" he commanded and both men followed their instructions promptly, knowing their was no disobeying such a man.

Now in the light of the tent Stede truly saw the stranger; he was a sun kissed man with long, unruly salt and pepper waves and a just as unruly beard. He was imposing, sure, but smile lines still creased at eyes which held a wisdom in them. He still had not caught on that this was Edward Teach until he stuck out his calloused hand and introduced himself to Stede as such.
Fuck. He had really gotten himself into it now.