Partners in crime

A full band sweetly serenaded a garden saturated with scathing nobility, ornate fabrics and idle chit chat. Lanterns and candles illuminated the immaculate grounds; the warm light they shed caught on all the glittering jewels and decadent accessories on display. Fortunately, tonight's party was also a masquerade, allowing another layer of mystery and animosity to protect the two men that were intruding tonight.
Stede nervously tugged at his cuffs as he scanned the area like it was shark-infested waters, all the memories of ridicule and passive aggression flooding back. He swallowed the lump forming in his throat and dived into the thick of it, taking a glass of wine from a passing butler as he greeted other guests. While a gaggle of narcissistic gentry boasted to each other, Stede found himself searching the crowd for Ed; they agreed to diffuse into the party at separate times to avoid attention and he should've followed soon after Stede. Finally, he caught sight of the rugged man whose rough exterior contrasted the flawless facades around him. Despite that, he still carried himself with such confidence that it seemed like he was right where he was supposed to be.
Stede tugged him aside and began fumbling with Ed's botched tie before he stepped back to judge his work with a pensive hand on his chin; he was in a simple black suit but it complimented his physique perfectly and his tied-back hair allowed his sharp eyes to stand out from his gilded mask.
"Is something wrong?" Ed inquired, glancing at his clothing to see what Stede had been staring at.
"Oh... ah... you clean up well," he cleared his throat and adjusted his own mask before backing into the crowd again.

A few hours had passed and the blonde was taking a well-earned respite from socialising by the buffet, sampling all the delicacies they had on offer, pockets heavy with silverware and trinkets. He observed the outlaw as he seemed right in his element, effortlessly swooning ladies with charming words to distract from the rings he would slip off their fingers. However, a sneering voice would have his heart sinking right through his feet.
"Bonnet? Well, I never...." Nigel Badminton scoffed as he approached. Without missing a beat, Stede briskly turned on his heel and attempted to escape him as he weaved through the crowd and entered the estate, a hand on his chest as he settled his shaky breath. Alas, a weasel of a man came back into view as he firmly shook his hand.

"I truly never expected to see you here. Where have you been? Is it true you abandoned your family?" Nigel interrogated.
"Ah well... you know... I've been in Egypt... working one this pyramid scheme... very lucrative," He stammered.
He broke out with laughter, "oh baby bonnet, you are a riot. Of course, you haven't been to Egypt. You could barely go further than the backyard when you were a kid. C'mon be honest, where have you been?"
Stede tugged at his collar as his eyes darted around the room to search for a way out.
"Aw, cat got your tongue? Baby bonnet, I'm your old friend. You can confide in me... be honest, Mary kicked you out didn't she? I mean I can't blame he-"
The contemptuous man was interrupted by a strong hand gripping his shoulder.
"Is this man bothering you?" Ed's grip tightened the more Nigel squirmed out of it.
"No, not at all. We're friends, aren't we, Bonnet? Anyway, who are you? Does baby bonnet need a babysitter?" Nigel mocked.
Ed glanced to where Stede awkwardly stood before tugging his sleeve up and swinging his fist into the face of the man, sending him toppling to the ground like a tower of cards. He looked up at him with horror as his palm collected the blood pouring from his nose. A few nearby guests had noticed the altercation and even more were alerted to the situation by the victim's enraged shrieks.
Ed shook the hand he punched with before grabbing Stede's and leading him away from the scene before they were caught, pushing past the shocked witnesses and their hushed gossip. He kept Stede's hand in his right up until they reached their horses, by which point Stede had regained his senses and pulled Ed into a brief embrace.
"Thank you," Stede stepped back but kept hold of his shoulders, "but why did you do that? You could've been caught. We could've stayed longer and stolen more. Why did you throw the mission for me?"
"You looked like you needed some saving. Plus, his face was oh so punchable. You should try it sometime, it was very satisfying," Ed remarked with his typical brazen grin as he jumped onto his saddle.

"What are you smiling about?" The outlaw inquired as they rode side by side.
"I never expected the Edward Teach to be such a decent man I suppose," Stede replied, earning an eye roll from the man beside him.
"Woah, don't get ahead of yourself there, partner. Can't go ruining my reputation now can we."
"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. And I'm smiling because I enjoyed today. I had more fun than I thought I would."
"Oh, does this mean you've finally dropped your grudge over being forced into being my little project?"
Stede chuckled as he replied, "Don't go getting ahead of yourself, partner."

A comfortable quiet settled on them as they journeyed back but as soon as he had hitched his horse, Stede was brimming with excitement to recount his thrilling day to his friends, bursting into the tent to greet them. Olu and Jim were startled out of their kiss, yelping in unison with Stede who abruptly covered his eyes and apologised profusely. When the room had settled down, a realisation dawned on Stede.
"You're.. you're a couple?" He finally uttered after his shock had dissipated.
They shared a look before Olu replied, "Yeah... I guess we sort of are."
"And you're both men?"
They exchanged another glance but this time Jim piped up, lifting their shirt to reveal a chest bound in bandages, "not quite..."
"Oh! I see..." Stede stood awkwardly for a moment, toying with his rings.
"If you want to ask questions just get it over and done with," They huffed, sighing as Stede jumped to pull a chair up and sit in front of them as if he was addressing a council. However, to the couple's surprise, he didn't question Jim's situation or gender, as most would. Instead, he began interrogating their relationship itself, asking about love and what it feels like and how to recognise it. They answered it all as best as they could but when Stede slunk back to his own tent, he found himself still troubled and fortunately, there was one last point of reference who could help his plight...

He swung open the saloon doors and greeted the barman, Black Pete, and his helper who wiped the tables, Lucius. When he slid into the chair, Lucius threw the rag over his shoulder and leaned on the table, "oh! You survived your little brush with Teach's gang. I was sure they were going to skin you alive. I was even a little sad you were six feet under."
Stede chuckled, relaxing into his seat; Lucius was a dear friend of his and his confidant, listening to him when he had marriage difficulties and when he ran off to be a cowboy. This humble saloon had even become a place of comfort now with regular customers who he knew by name now and they too had become friends of his.
With a cocky smile, Stede retold his time under Edward's tutoring and how he has been living with his gang, Lucius' brows rising higher and higher with every sentence as he noticed the way he described the outlaw.
"No no no, Stede, babygirl, don't tell me you're falling for Edward fucking Teach," Pleaded Lucius, hands now on his hips like a scolding mother.
"No! Of course not! He's a friend! And even though I don't know what it's like to fall for someone, I know I'm definitely not doing it for him."
Black Pete and Lucius looked equally unconvinced at Stede's words but decided to play along as Lucius replied, "alright, whatever you say. When you do find someone you like, you'll know when you're falling. You'll always want to be by their side, support them, hold them. They'll make you weak in the knees. I mean, when Black Pete started flirting with me I got that little fluttery feeling-"
Stede abruptly stood, interrupting him, "hold on. You and Black Pete are boyfriends?!"
"Uh... yeah? I mean why else would I work in this dump when I could've made it big as an artists muse or something," The waiter leaned close, "love, my friend."
Stede nodded and bid his companions goodnight, leaving with a head spinning with the whirlwind of thoughts and musing that swarmed it.