Caught in the act

After the traumatic run-in with his childhood bully at the last event they attended, Stede settled on being a wallflower nestled away from the limelight. At first glance, the other wallflowers looked like the prime crowd to pickpocket; consisting of youthful ladies dressed to the nines in all the diamonds and pearls their papas could afford in an attempt to dazzle the bachelors attending such an event. However, when attempting small talk, the girl promptly burst into tears, and Stede somehow found himself giving a fatherly pep talk about unrequited love. The plan to steal from the poor thing flew out the window the moment her eyes gleamed over.
"No, no, that boy is not worth wasting your tears over, my dear," Stede huffed, harbouring a newfound dislike for the man he had not even met, "And definitely not worthy of your love. I mean, he kissed your friend! He clearly was just in it for a quick one in the haystacks-- oh goodness, I shouldn't be talking like this to a lady, my apologies. It seems I've let my manners slip."
The girl chortled as she dabbed her cheeks with a silk napkin, "but then who is worthy of my love? What if no one ever loves me and I die alone?"
"Oh, don't let yourself start thinking like that. Trust me, I've been there and it is not pretty. One day you're going to meet a kind-hearted and honest man who wants only the best for you and you for him. He'll accept and even encourage all your fascinations. He'll make every day so enjoyable that you forget to even worry about such things as dying alone or finding love because you would have already found it. And you will find it, my dear. You just need to catch the man who can see how you're a swan in a room full of..." He vaguely waved a limp hand for emphasis, "pigeons."

She heartily laughed this time and Stede smiled, chuffed he had succeeded in lifting her spirits; maybe he would have been a good father had he stayed as one.
His gaze found its way where Ed waltzed, flawlessly carrying out every step just as he had taught him, and his heart brimmed with utter pride at how elegant and poised he was tonight. His emotions spilt out into his expression that softened into admiration.
"Is she your wife?" The girl interrupted, nodding to where Ed danced with another woman.
"I- Oh- No- Y-...No... She is not," He stammered.
"You like her then? You look at her like how I used to look at my Arthur. Smitten."

Stede pursed his lips as his pep talk echoed in his head, the realisation of how poignant his words were to his own feelings.

Oh.

Oh.

How foolish could he have been? This whole time he had assumed that he simply admired Ed and their bond was that of close friends but as he had said, he had found his time with the outlaw so delightful he hadn't even thought of his usual worries. Worries that included never knowing love like in the stories and never satisfying that need for something more. And Ed indeed showed genuine interest in his hobbies. He had fallen for him and he hadn't even realised it. At least Stede knew that finding such a treasure as this was not something to let pass by. Telling Ed was the only thing left to do. Even if he was rejected at least he did not lose the opportunity and tried his shot. Perhaps all those strange comments Ed made and the way he was always at his side were signs that the feelings were mutual.

He noticed the outlaw slip through the patio doors and followed, taking this opportunity to make his confession in the gardens. Alas, his plan was obliterated by what he saw in the muted lighting leaking from inside. The same woman he waltzed with was in fits of giggles as she slumped onto her dance partner, her arms flung around his neck.
"Stede!" Ed exclaimed, "Everything alright?"
He blinked, the butterflies in his stomach now wasps caught in his ribs with how much his chest stung, "I..ah... yes. I think the caviar here is a little off, I'm feeling a little ill so I'll head home early. But you stay, I insist."
He hurried back through the doors and towards the entrance but in his scramble a necklace slipped out the pocket of his jacket and clattered onto the marble. A guest scooped it up and started to hand it back to Stede but hesitated, realising there was only one reason why he would be in possession of women's jewellery and why he was rushing away.
"Thief!" He alerted. Suddenly every eye was on him and the hired muscle at the event were already closing in.